Fermentation Yet To Kick Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylus1274

Reaction score
I'm sure I will hear 'wait it out, it's early'. That's what I would say:)

I'm brewing a Brown Ale. I pitched a Wyeast London ESB yesterday. I did smack it and let it balloon up. It wasn't as puffy/fat as I normally see but nonetheless it seemed to be active.

The yeast was packaged in August. So not too old.

After roughly 18 ours no activity in my fermenter. If it was 24 hours and I was using a dry yeast I wouldn't sweat it too much. But this is a liquid yeast so I am expecting something in 12 hours.

My OG was 1.050. Mashed at 158 for an hour.

So 2 things here. Anyone have experience with this yeast? How did it go for you?

Any suggest outside of swirling my fermenter and waiting?

If I was going to do a repitch, do you have recommendations for a yeast? I don't want to do the same one. I may even do a dry yeast.

Thanks

I don't know how reliable it is, but Mr Malty estimates an 8/15/16 smack pack as only being 35% viable yeast at this point. Even if that is a bit of an overstatement, then it's still a pretty substantial under pitch. If you have access to another english yeast, I'd go ahead and pitch that too.

It's definitely an underpitch but it maybe fine.
You really should make a starter when pitching liquid yeast, though, to:

• Prove your yeast is alive and viable,

• Grow more yeast cells (2-4 times the original count), which will help ferment your beer better.

• Save some of the starter out (1/4) to make a new one for your next batch. Etc. Etc.
    Your single pack of yeast can thus be used to ferment many more batches.

If I was going to do a repitch, do you have recommendations for a yeast? I don't want to do the same one. I may even do a dry yeast.

I'd recommend using the same yeast, just from a fresher package. ;) You said the smack pack did swell, so you have at least some viable yeast in there. I'm not sure what kind of frankenflavors you would get if you threw in a different yeast. I'm sure the yeast you have are gaining momentum, they just started from a small concentration so they're playing catch-up right now.

I usually use dry yeast. I totally understand the starter concept and all that. But I was really hoping because of the smack pack and it seemed everything was jiving I was good to go. Definitely will do a starter next tim.

Even though a different yeast may produce 'frakenflavors'....what about something neutral like an 04 or 05?

It's definitely an underpitch but it maybe fine.
You really should make a starter when pitching liquid yeast, though, to:

• Prove your yeast is alive and viable,

• Grow more yeast cells (2-4 times the original count), which will help ferment your beer better.

• Save some of the starter out (1/4) to make a new one for your next batch. Etc. Etc.
    Your single pack of yeast can thus be used to ferment many more batches.

You think it's an underpitch because of the date?

I've had liquid yeasts + starters take a couple days before seeing any airlock activity. It's not common but it does happen.

Sounds like you underpitched so it may take a few days before the yeast reproduce enough to really start seeing activity.

You think it's an underpitch because of the date?

Yes, here's why:

I don't know how reliable it is, but Mr Malty estimates an 8/15/16 smack pack as only being 35% viable yeast at this point. Even if that is a bit of an overstatement, then it's still a pretty substantial under pitch. If you have access to another english yeast, I'd go ahead and pitch that too.

The packs start out with 100-120 billion cells, dying off slowly from then on. The yeast calculators will estimate how many are left since that date, with proper refrigerated storage. Some say they are a bit pessimistic but it's better to underestimate than overestimate as it is much worse to underpitch by 50% than overpitch by 200%. The higher the gravity, the more yeast health plays a role to complete a healthy fermentation.

For example, I like Homebrew Dad's Yeast Calculator. There are others.

Yes, here's why:

The packs start out with 100-120 billion cells, dying off slowly from then on. The yeast calculators will estimate how many are left since that date, with proper refrigerated storage. Some say they are a bit pessimistic but it's better to underestimate than overestimate as it is much worse to underpitch by 50% than overpitch by 200%. The higher the gravity, the more yeast health plays a role to complete a healthy fermentation.

For example, I like Homebrew Dad's Yeast Calculator. There are others.

Yeah looks like that calculator says it's estimated to be at 50% which isn't so great :( Oh well, you live and learn.

Happy to report the fermenter is rocking this morning. Slow start due to underpitching. Hopefully I still hit my numbers.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Back