Fermentation/Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscarflytyer

Reaction score
Made a low gravity (OG - 1.030) Scottish Ale. After three days, no airlock bubbles. I only pitched 7grms Coopers Ale yeast. Never used that small amount of yeast. Based on lack of bubbling airlock, assumed no fermentation. and No, I did NOT check the SG - I know - User ID10T!

So - w/o checking the SG, I pitched another 7 grms of the same yeast.

Now - IF the original yeast did its thing very quietly, and then I did a second pitch - Any harm done? What can I expect? Any advice/experience would be helpful. Thanx

No there wouldn't be any problems whatsoever... like the saying goes RDWHAHB.
The only thing adding more yeast would cause would be a "little" more sediment in your fermenter, not a big deal.

But I would definately check the current gravity :)

Listen to the drunken hobo, he knows what he's talking about. It won't hurt anything, but it could have fermented, and the gas escaped somewhere else. Did you see any krausen ring when you opened it to re-pitch? Did you disturb it much when you re-pitched?

Listen to the drunken hobo, he knows what he's talking about. It won't hurt anything, but it could have fermented, and the gas escaped somewhere else. Did you see any krausen ring when you opened it to re-pitch? Did you disturb it much when you re-pitched?

Cheers to the first person to realize all I am is a Drunken Hobo. yea-aeah!

Ok, I feel like being nice. Its...

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew

A phrase coined ny the father of homebrewing, Charlie Papazian.

Thanx Guys! Figured out what I did - AFTER I pitched the second batch of yeast. And yes, there was a very slight ring. And yes, when I bottled tonight, there was a good bit of extra crud in the wort. And yes, I DID take a SG reading - 1.012 - within 1/1000th of what I expected and the recipe called for - imagine THAT!!! And the SG reading is what drove me to go ahead and bottle.

Good news - RDWHAHB!!! And in two weeks - I WILL have one of THESE homebrews!

Back