Fermentation vessel's effect on fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambleon

Reaction score
Have you all noticed a difference in attenuation/flavor/etc when fermenting in a carboy/bucket/conical
? I've been getting much better attenuation when I'm fermenting in my bucket than my carboys and I don't know why. Same recipes, same mash temp, same everything. Just different fermenter. ????

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's possible the beer is getting much better aeration due to the more open nature of the bucket, thus giving your yeast more oxygen to help start the process of fermentation. Another possibility is that since bucket is wide open, more of your initial yeast is getting to the beer itself and not getting stuck on the side (as will happen to a certain extent with most carboys when you pour in the yeast). Another possibility is that you've simply been doing a better job with the latest brews which happen to be in a bucket.

Never noticed any difference between BB's or buckets but I tend to use buckets more for ease of use and access, and they're cheaper:)

Sent from the Commune

When wort comes out my chiller to my bucket it splashes... when wort comes out of my chiller to a carboy it flows. I also bother to splash back and forth with buckets... once it's in a carboy is gets swirled a bit. I get much better attenuation with buckets.

No.

Source: I've used SS conicals, glass carboys, plastic buckets, and now a SS bucket. I don't think the vessel used makes a whole hell of a lot of difference in terms of attenuation or flavor (or whatever etc is).

Back