Fermentation temps??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrustyOlJohnson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So this time last year I made (3) 1-gallon batches of JAOM. Each batch used a different yeast, namely RedStar bread yeast, Lalvin K1-1116 and Lalvin EC-1118. I fermented at room temps (72 ish). Each batch has different flavor elements, but I wonder if part of what I am tasting are fusel alcohols. I get some pretty serious headaches from drinking them.
I am about to put together a 6 gallon batch of semi sweet mead. It is basically 18 lbs of orange blossum honey, water and 2 packs of Lalvin 71B-1122.
As a beer brewer, I know primary fermentation temps are critical. Does the same apply to mead and should I control the temps with this batch? Whats a good temp?

Maintaining yeast health through the long fermentation is critical with mead. Degassing and staggered nutrients are very important.

72 also does seem warm to me, but I'll defer to the wine-yeast experts on that question.

As with beer, I feel that controlling fermentation temperature is one of the best things you can do... right after ensuring you have enough live active healthy yeast cells at pitch.

For this yeast, the Lalvin yeast site specifies it ferments well between 59-F and 86-F. That is quite a range. I usually like to keep my fermentation below 70-F, as I fear the fusul alcohols that can make your beverage less enjoyable. :)

If you have a way to maintain fermentation temps for your mead, I would suggest that you use it. I would rather get through a long mead fermentation knowing what I have (e.g. 21 days at 67F-69F), as I can then evaluate how that strain of yeast performed at that temp. Without temp control, you really do not know what temps your yeast encountered.

Typically, I create a chart, like the one attached, to track the temps & yeast activity, along with nutrient additions. You could track less (or not at all) and still make a good mead. However, if you want to repeat, it is good info to have!

:mug:
--LexusChris

View attachment Meads_fermentation_sample.pdf

Yeah, Im big on temp control too, and wondered when I did it because the OP's recipe didn't mention anything. Im gonna call Lalvin and talk with them, but Im thinkin 64 deg.

There is no real "set" temp. It's basically yeast dependent.

For example, D47 has been found to produce high fusels when fermented above 70F/21C, whereas K1-V1116 has a much wider temp range yet lower temps produce more esters.

EC-1118 works well with honey musts but many believe that it's too robust and blows much or the aromatics and other VoC's straight out the airlock......

Lallemand (lalvin producers) don't seem to have a great deal of info for meads. You're better placed reading Ken Schramms book or one of the other good ones and following the guidance there........

There is no real "set" temp. It's basically yeast dependent.

For example, D47 has been found to produce high fusels when fermented above 70F/21C, whereas K1-V1116 has a much wider temp range yet lower temps produce more esters.

EC-1118 works well with honey musts but many believe that it's too robust and blows much or the aromatics and other VoC's straight out the airlock......

Lallemand (lalvin producers) don't seem to have a great deal of info for meads. You're better placed reading Ken Schramms book or one of the other good ones and following the guidance there........

Im reading "The Compleat Meadmaker" now. I'll be looking for any tips. Jus wanna do the best I can with the 18lbs of Florida Orange Blossum honey that I have right now

Back