Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel48

Reaction score
I know I should try to keep my fermentation temperatures under control while the beer is fermenting. My question is, is this more important during initial fermentation ie the first 5 days? The reason I ask is that I have a small refrigerator I can use but it only fits one carboy. After 5 days can I remove the carboy and start another beer and let original carboy sit for another 2 weeks in the room where the temp is 68-75 degrees.

I would say that for ales, temperature is most importat during primary fermentation. I would get a second opinion on conditioning temperatures but my main concern is during primary fermentation where most of the yeast byproducts are produced. Higher temperatures = more esters and if high enough, heavy fusil alchohals that can't be conditioned out.

My advice is that is ok for ales, like Dustin says. The first few days are especially important for lower temps, and some experts even suggest raising the temp slowly after the krausen has started to fall.

However, I would not decide in advance to do 5 days. I'd keep an eye on it and once the fermentation has slowed WAY down, then raise the temp.

Of course for lagers, they have their own schedule and prefer the lower temps for a lot longer. And yeast strain plays a role, but just pick temps that at the lower end of their listed range and you should be fine.

I probably should not have said 5 days, my pipeline is usually brewing every 2 weeks or so. It would be more like 14 days. I have not tackled lagers yet so this would be concerning ales.
Homercidal, our family has a hunting area in Reed City!

I probably should not have said 5 days, my pipeline is usually brewing every 2 weeks or so. It would be more like 14 days. I have not tackled lagers yet so this would be concerning ales.
Homercidal, our family has a hunting area in Reed City!

14 days is great! You should be able to allow it to completely ferment in that time.

Is the land just for deer? I've been wanting to look for a place to take my daughter small game hunting.

Hmm, using a small refrigerator for temp regulation is a good idea. I do have a spare small one down in the garage, but I'm not sure it's actually big enough to be honest. I am curious now though.

Hmm, using a small refrigerator for temp regulation is a good idea. I do have a spare small one down in the garage, but I'm not sure it's actually big enough to be honest. I am curious now though.

yea, you might have to get temp controller via Johnson Controls for exact temperature settings.

I was actually on my way to pick up a "free" fridge from Craislist a couple of weeks ago but my trailer tires finally gave out, so I had to pass. He may still have it, so I should email him and see if he wants to still give it away. I figure I could keep two fermenters in there, and my wife gave me a coupon for a controller for fathers day, so I need to order that too.

I need something pretty bad for temp controls. Was 82 (heat wave) a week and a half ago in my cellar when I brewed. I'm thinking my english bitter may not be so great when I try it.

I'm going to start looking for a fridge. Also, someone told me about swamp coolers but i'm not sure how well they would work for my cellar.

Back