Fermentation temps questions, too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
I ferment in my unfinished basement, concrete floor, and here in Iowa it is pretty hot so the air is on all the time. My current ambient temp ranges from 58-62. During the day mostly stays around 58. I have a Saison with WL Saison blend, an IPA w WL001 and a Wit w Forbidden Fruit. The Saison is at 1.014 and the Wit has moved all the way to 1.008, haven't checked the IPA only a week old and still has some nice fluffy krasuen. The Saison and Wit are 2 weeks old. My question is this, should I warm the Saison, I have a brewpad and that seems to really only warm it about 10 degrees, to finish it out? Or should I just ride it out for a few more weeks?

I'd ride it out. I don't think you'll get as much of the characteristic twangy saison flavor from that temp but there's nothing wrong with it.

I've heard that saison yeast won't fully attenuate at low temps. I'm just speaking form what I've been reading, I'm planning a Saison for one of my next brews. From what I understand, cool temps are ok at the beginning, but you want to get it warm (75+) for the remainder of fermentation. Also, I've read that most saison strains take their sweet time to reach FG, even at those warmer temps. Check out some of the threads about saison ferment temps here on HBT, I've been finding a ton of good info out there.

I usually use them in a blend which is why I'm guessing I've never noticed the long finishing time. I did have one with 3724 get stuck at 1.035 (which it's known for doing) but it still finished in what I'd call the normal amount of time.

+1 to finishing them warmer too.

Yeah, my last Saison I used the WL Dupont strain, pitched at 90f and put on the brewpad right away and left it on there for 30 days. FG was 1.002, killer beer, super clean and clear, nice spice and esters are awesome. This Saison I have rolling now tasted great today, a little yeasty still, but nice banana and some spice to it, classic Belgian aroma. I think I am going to put it on the brewpad tonight and let her clean up and finish out. As for going forward fermenting in the basement, should I keep an eye on the yeast recommended temps, I understand some want to be higher, but is lower a big deal, or does it just equal a little slower?

Back