Fermentation temps for Belgian Triple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotastic

Reaction score
So I've got a Belgian IPA Tripel chugging away in the basement atm. I've been readin here and there about fermentation process and temps.

As of now...i had it around 64-66 fort he 1st 3days or so.....Fermentation slowed slightly and I have since moved it to a location where I'm about 70ish atm.

My question is does this eem to fit the protocol and if so....how long should I keep it around 70+

I plan on leaving it int he primary for 4 weeks then racking to a secondary and dry hopping for about another 4 weeks

Yeast was wyeast Belgian Strong

Grains where Belgian Pale, Crystal 10L, White Wheat, and some Carravienne

When I do dubbels and tripels, I start my fermentation at 64F and slowly raise the temp so that I end at 72F. So, I'll up the temps by a degree every few days. That's my personal preference though, as I don't like a lot of banana character. Most people let their belgians get into the low 80's toward the end. I think you have the right idea of keeping in primary for a month.

70 won't be bad for the duration of fermentation and dry hopping. It's those first three days that are critical with ales. If you let your temp get too high or have big swings it can be detrimental to your beer. What you did sounds good to me. However, I would recommend only dry hopping for 5-7 days max. Taste it after day three and every day after until you get the hop flavor you want. Or, dry hop once then transfer and dry hop with more. I find that if you leave the beer on dry hops too long you start to get really grassy, less hoppy flavors.

Belgian Tripel IPA sounds pretty interesting. I had Stone's Belgian IPA and I thought it was very good. Nice strong hop presence with the yeast character from a Belgian.

Sounds good...maybe I'll just dry hop in the keg with some fishing line then....well see

I haven't had the Stone IPA tripel...i'll have to keep an eye out...love the Houblon Chouffe though

Back