Fermentation Temps and resulting flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorhead1976

Reaction score
Has anyone ever experimented with fermentation temperatures? Specifically, what temps yield the most apple like flavors? I get the impression different yeasts can impart different flavors, and it seems like the flavors they throw can be temperature dependent.

Right now I am fermenting anywhere from 59 to 61 degrees F with the batches in process.

Thanks for any thoughts or experiences you can share.

Yes, I did a batch where I lowered the fermentation temp significantly (from my standard 65-68 F to 58-60) and did not like it at all. This was using the Edinburgh strain by White Labs (kind of my house ale yeast). The results I've liked the best so far are either Edinburgh or Nottingham (dried) at the 65-68 range.

Have you looked a the sticky thread at the top of the cider subforum, Moor? CvilleKevin has a great thread on his experiments with various yeasts and techniques - you might be interested.

great question though... wish i had the time energy and resources to put that to a test

I have looked over the CVILLE thread. I've actually have 4 different yeasts going right now.

My very first cider is getting close to finishing off in primary. I measured the SG last night and it was 1.00. I still see an occasional bubble, but nothing like it was during active ferm. I used a champagne yeast for this batch, and it tasted like green apple champagne (kind of tart). I like tart, so I'm hoping after some time to age, this will be a kick butt cider. I fermented this mostly around 61 F, but as the outdoor temps dropped recently, the ferm temp dropped into the upper 50s.

I'm trying the Notty and Safale 04 from the CVILLE thread. I'm also running a white wine yeast designed for Rieslings. These are all fermenting around 60 F right now.

I'm sure the flavors are subjective to each person tasting, but it might be cool if we can put a compact data base together that give lots of peoples impressions on specific yeasts. If we took a deep dive on the yeasts and then tried different ferm temps, it would be interesting to see if the flavors change.

Back