Fermentation Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBGuy212

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Amber Ale (first batch ever btw). And I've heard that it is better to keep the temp around 64-68 degrees the first few days during fermentation. But is there a way to tell when it is ok to take out of the water and bring up to room temp for the rest of the two weeks?

What yeast are you using?

It's OK to take the beer off temp control once active fermentation is complete. So once you hit final gravity. Do you have a hydrometer?

What do you mean "take out of the water?" You intend on keeping it in a water bath to maintain the fermentation temp? How do you intend to keep the temp of the water 64-68?

What's your yeast strain? That's what determines the fermentation temperature.

You want to keep the temp low until the fermentation appears to die down a little bit. After a few days of active fermentation you should be good to go, but keeping it on the cooler side for the first week might be safest. You can use a hydrometer to see how far along the fermentation is if you want. Remember that the yeast create heat as they ferment the beer, and the temperature can easily be 5-10 degrees above ambient. So tossing the carboy in a 65 degree room will probably result in a beer temperature above 70 degrees during peak fermentation.

Is it a Midwest kit? If so it's probably munton's dry yeast ? A yellow with green writing on the packet, ?

What yeast are you using?

It's OK to take the beer off temp control once active fermentation is complete. So once you hit final gravity. Do you have a hydrometer?

What do you mean "take out of the water?" You intend on keeping it in a water bath to maintain the fermentation temp? How do you intend to keep the temp of the water 64-68?

I filled up 4 2-liter bottles with water and froze them, so every morning and evening I've been switching out 2. It's worked so far keeping the temp around 65 degrees. Is that cold enough ya think? I wish I could tell you what strain I used.. It was a dry yeast.

Sound like oyu are definitely on the right track.

Once you hit FG, you don't need to keep it on temp control any more. Hopefully you have a hydrometer. If not, it is going to be around the 7-10 day mark.

If you are using a carboy or anything light can get through, remember to cover it in a t-shirt or blanket or something so no light gets in. UV rays will skunk the hops.

Good luck!

What's your yeast strain? That's what determines the fermentation temperature.

You want to keep the temp low until the fermentation appears to die down a little bit. After a few days of active fermentation you should be good to go, but keeping it on the cooler side for the first week might be safest. You can use a hydrometer to see how far along the fermentation is if you want. Remember that the yeast create heat as they ferment the beer, and the temperature can easily be 5-10 degrees above ambient. So tossing the carboy in a 65 degree room will probably result in a beer temperature above 70 degrees during peak fermentation.[/QUOTE

Will most likely try and take a reading this evening. I brewed it Monday night so it's only been in there 3 days today.

Sound like oyu are definitely on the right track.

Once you hit FG, you don't need to keep it on temp control any more. Hopefully you have a hydrometer. If not, it is going to be around the 7-10 day mark.

If you are using a carboy or anything light can get through, remember to cover it in a t-shirt or blanket or something so no light gets in. UV rays will skunk the hops.

Good luck!

Thank you! Yeah I have it in a closet right now so no light can get to the carboy. Any ideas on the best way to get a sample of beer out of a carboy for a hydrometer reading? I have a piece of tubing I could probably use...

Thank you! Yeah I have it in a closet right now so no light can get to the carboy. Any ideas on the best way to get a sample of beer out of a carboy for a hydrometer reading? I have a piece of tubing I could probably use...

I use a skinny tube 1/8" ID, 1/4" OD to siphon out samples from buckets through the airlock grommet. You can use that tube for carboys too. Sanitize the tube well and suck by mouth or use a turkey baster until the beer flows and stick in a jar or glass. Pull the tube out of the fermentor when you got enough, without letting the beer flow back.

A "wine thief" or long turkey baster is good too. Good sanitation is paramount. Do not return the samples, just drink them.

Once you see the krausen start to die down, you can take it out of the water and let it rise up in temp. This should help clean up any diacetyl that was produced. Sounds like you are taking the right steps though keeping it cool.

Now I'm getting zero bubbles in my airlock, guessing this is a good sign to takeout of water.
On another note, I'm worried now of infection... I used chilled water from the tap to add to the wort (bringing it to 5 Gals) after boiling, to bring to temp for pitching.

Don't worry about that. I do our all the time. If your tap water is clean enough to drink then it should be fine in your beer. I always top up with tap water and have not had any infection issues. It is much harder to ruin a batch of beer than you might think.

Once you see the krausen start to die down, you can take it out of the water and let it rise up in temp. This should help clean up any diacetyl that was produced. Sounds like you are taking the right steps though keeping it cool.

I think I'm at where you described. No mas bubbles in airlock and I can see little tiny bits of the brown krausen falling down into the beer.

Yeah I don't really think a hydrometer reading is necessary to know when to take it out of the temp control. You can take it out when the krausen falls. I usually try to raise the temp just a little before it completely falls to ensure good attenuation and good cleanup of byproducts.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407542019.554343.jpg

So this is what I'm looking at. No bubbles whatsoever and the krausen is lower then this morning. Bring to room temp?

Yes. I second not taking a hydro reading to see if you are near FG. I feel its another way to introduce infection. As long as you aerate and pitch enough yeast, your beer will finish out. Where your beer is at now is ideal time to raise to room temp. This would be your diacetyl rest. You want to do it while the yeast are still active and not dormant, so a good sign most people use is when krausen starts to fall.

Ok.. So I took it out and noticed the airlock was a little low, I added a little bit more water to it and its bubbling about 28 times a minute. Still bring to room temp? Or am I being to cautious about this?

Ok.. So I took it out and noticed the airlock was a little low, I added a little bit more water to it and its bubbling about 28 times a minute. Still bring to room temp? Or am I being to cautious about this?

Bubbling every two seconds sounds like it is still in very active ferment. I would probably wait until you see your krausen start to fall back into the beer and notice a reduction in the amount t of activity. Ballpark is generally 5 to 7 days. Your krausen still looks pretty full.

I’ve avoided brewing this summer because my house temp is set at 80º-82ºF, to save on a/c $$$, and my basement is only in the mid-70’s. Decided to try setting the fermenter in a tub of ice water – am impressed how well it’s working.

Started an IPA yesterday. Set the fermenter in a plastic tub, with about 4-inches of cold tap water, added two ½-gallon jugs of ice. The fermenter & tub is wrapped with a blanket to keep the cold in, and top of the fermenter is uncovered to allow the heat to escape. Water in the tub is about 40-50ºF and fermenter is holding at about 60-64ºF. Airlock is burping away. Working well! I think I’ll only need to add new ice jugs about twice a day.

Happy enough with this that I’m thinking of a lager brew, with a foot+ of cold water in the tub, 2 or 3 one gallon ice jugs – worth a try! Yeah, I know, I need to find a used refrigerator and get temp control, but I’ve got too many other priorities first.

Ok so my airlock is putting out 4 bubbles a minute, krausen looks to be dropping. Bring to room temp?

How many days has it been since you pitched? I'd say yes, bring it up to temp. Your off flavors from high temp are going to occur in the beginning of fermentation

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How many days has it been since you pitched? I'd say yes, bring it up to temp. Your off flavors from high temp are going to occur in the beginning of fermentation

Since this past Monday, so five.

Second that. Sounds like the right time for a diacetyl rest.

Back