Fermentation temperatures too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickWG

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed but..Here's my go at it.

Brewed up my double IPA last friday and pitched that evening. Next morning fermentation was going. the fermometer said the temp was around 77 or so. I tried to cool it by running water in the tub but couldn't get it down much as things were going rather well in there. (or I didn't give it enough time. I didn't want to leave the cold water in there and stall the fermentation) The temp has dropped to 72ish by yesterday. (Sunday, so 1.5 days at higher temp)

It is a Double IPA with an OG of 1.091. Is it normal to have higher temps with higher OG?
Bad effects because of temp?

Anyone else have similar experiences?

It's definitely going to be on the estery side. Since this is probably a very hoppy beer, that may go a long way toward masking those fruity flavors.

Active fermentation generates a lot of heat. Your big beer meant a ton of fuel for the yeasties to eat, so they are working very vigorously and generating a lot of heat.

cweston said:
It's definitely going to be on the estery side. Since this is probably a very hoppy beer, that may go a long way toward masking those fruity flavors.

Active fermentation generates a lot of heat. Your big beer meant a ton of fuel for the yeasties to eat, so they are working very vigorously and generating a lot of heat.

Live and learn I guess. Next time I'll do it in the garage. I was thinking the garage would be too cold for the yeast. Hope it's not ruined. Think it will be alright?

I tend to pitch bigger beers at the low end of the yeast's range. If I'm pitching on a cake, I'll shoot for 60F.

Back