Fermentation Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Camel

Reaction score
Hey all,

A lot of sites discuss fermentation temperature when brewing ales and lagers and most say for instance that if the ale is fermented at >18C, you'll get ester production and make a fruitier beer.

Is the temperature they're quoting the liquid temp or the air temperature as our room we're fermenting is typically 15 - 19C but the fermentation is generating it's own heat and is usually 22-23C during krausen despite the cool room.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

They are talking about the temperature of the beer. Yeah, active fermentation can produce quite a bit of heat.

Beerrific said:
They are talking about the temperature of the beer. Yeah, active fermentation can produce quite a bit of heat.

During the active phase of fermentation the temperature delta can be 8-10 degrees Fahrenheit. I have noticed this because I use painters tape to place my digital controller's sensor to the side of the bucket. Another digital thermometer placed in a sippy cup with a lid and water will show ambient temp in my freezer/fermenter at 55 degrees, when the side of the bucket is 65 degrees. Within a couple days, the two displays will be in sync.

EdWort said:
During the active phase of fermentation the temperature delta can be 8-10 degrees Fahrenheit. I have noticed this because I use painters tape to place my digital controller's sensor to the side of the bucket. Another digital thermometer placed in a sippy cup with a lid and water will show ambient temp in my freezer/fermenter at 55 degrees, when the side of the bucket is 65 degrees. Within a couple days, the two displays will be in sync.

So if I'm to ferment an ale at 65, the ambient should really be 55ish, I guess that's why our ales are always estery, we're targeting a room temp of about 65 and getting a fermentation closer to 74

Thanks, this'll help

Back