fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banesong

Middle Ground Brewing Company
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all. I just racked a beer over to secondary, and am a little worried about it's gravity. It it's currently sitting at 1.017. A brief background - this is my first all grain batch, and I converted a partial mash recipe that I have done many times. This us a small beer; target ABV is 2.7% or so. The starting gravity was 1.030, with an estimated final around 1.010. My concern is that maybe it was to cold during fermentation. Right now it is sitting at right around 62-64 degrees in my basement. I had pitched wyeast American ale 2, but was concerned that it didn't take off and dripped some Nottingham in there as well the next day (long story). Do I need to warm this up and see what happens? It tastes pretty good right now; not too sweet with a good malt backbone. I am just concerned with bottling and fermentables.

Thanks
T

You may want to delete this since you posted the same thread in Fermentation & Yeast forum.

Sorry guys... hit the submit button in the android app a bit early; it looked like it didn't go through. Deleted the other thread. Don't know how it got in the fermentation section, will delete that one.

I mashed at ~155, by the end it was sitting at 152.

That being said - recipe is below:

Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.028 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 47.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
48.00 oz Golden Promise (Simpsons) (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 55.8 %
16.00 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 18.6 %
16.00 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 18.6 %
6.00 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.0 %
1.00 oz Citra [13.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 42.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 4.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 7 -
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 86.00 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 6.72 qt of water at 164.9 F 150.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.74 gal water at 168.0 F

Could you post the recipe? A lot of partial mash recipes are mainly flavor grains and not much base grain because malt is replaced with extract. So if its a scale of that you could end up with too many unfermentables. The temp doesn't sound too low. Has the initial fermentation stopped or slowed?

Oh, and the thread in Fermentation and Yeast isn't mine; just a coincidentally named one. Renaming my to avoid confusion.

Back