Fermentation temperature step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spearo

Reaction score
Is there any benefit/effect of finishing a cool fermentation with a couple days at warmer temps?

I am fermenting a stout. I had it in the primary for a week at 70F. It has been in the secondary at 62F for about 10days now. I plan on bottling after 14 days.

My questions is based on a nagging feeling that I read somewhere about finishing fermentation at room temp (70-72F) for a couple of days before bottling.

Any thoughts?

I do not think it would hurt. I would assume most of the flavor profile from the fermenting yeast has been reached at this point. However, you may see a slight benefit from this since you are bottling. assuming the brew is clear (generically speaking, with your stout it is less of an issue), the warmer temps may help drop another couple gravity points and slightly raise the yeast helping with the bottle carb.

Some people ramp up fermentation temps for ales in the last few days just to ensure complete attenuation and to speed up clean up of fermentation by-products.

Not talking about a big increase...like going from 67 to 70.

but this beer is in secondary, not primary...so its done fermenting, so ramping up temps again shouldn't 'finish off the yeasts' attenuation'

I see no benefit to warming an ale back to 70F in secondary before bottling.

malkore said:
but this beer is in secondary, not primary...so its done fermenting, so ramping up temps again shouldn't 'finish off the yeasts' attenuation'

I see no benefit to warming an ale back to 70F in secondary before bottling.

I was answering the first question in the OP.

You're right though, in this instance there is no need. Its too late for it to have any benefit.

Back