Fermentation temperature questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csmith0237

Reaction score
Hello all. I have just started brewing cider, having never fermented anything before. It smells awesome fermenting under a cabinet in my kitchen, which is also one of the coolest areas in the house. But I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with fermentation temperatures over 70 F? My brews are currently sitting between 72 and 74, but got up to 76 two days ago. I'm putting ice packs in the cabinet to lower ambient temperature, but that only does so much. I don't want scrappy cider, but I also don't want to take expensive measures if I don't need to. I would love any feedback that anyone has to give. Thank you!

15089879695171113948424.jpg

Depends on what yeast you're using. In general, above 65F you risk rhino farts (sulfur) and above 70 you risk fusel alcohol production, but it's entirely yeast dependent.

I would go with a saison yeast for over 70

a swamp cooler is a relatively cheap option for keeping temps down

What is the outside temp at night where you live? You could put your cider outside at night then put it in an insulated place during the day. I wouldn't dream of trying to make cider at temperatures approaching 70 deg without expecting all sorts of problems. Those three jugs could fit in the trunk of most cars so if you don't have a better option, consider that.

I would go with a saison yeast for over 70

a swamp cooler is a relatively cheap option for keeping temps down

What he said. I started one cider in the spring when the basement was warmer. I used Belle Saison amd was happy with the results.

I'd be very concerned with temps in the 70s unless you were using a yeast that was appropriate for those temps, like the saison yeast that has been mentioned.

Temp control is one of the things that, in my opinion, makes the biggest difference in the quality of the finished product. I generally shoot for the low end or slightly below the low end of the manufacturers recommended temp range. But to go below their recommended temps you should make a large starter and/or make sure you are pitching sufficient number of healthy yeast cells and get really good aeration/oxygenation, I use pure oxygen.

In general, the lower the fermentation temp the cleaner the beer, or cider, will taste.

Has anyone tried making cider with one of the high-temperature Norwegian yeasts like Omega OYL-057 Hothead or Sigmund's Voss kveik? In theory that should avoid the need for fancy cooling in all but the hottest climates, certainly anywhere that apples grow.

Back