Fermentation temperature for Anchor Steam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbest808

Reaction score
I just brewed an Anchor Steam clone (extract w/grain). The recipe says to ferment for 75 to 90 days at 55 to 60 degrees. What will happen if I ferment at 68 to 70 degrees with my other ales I will be brewing in the next 3 months??

Steam beer is by definition fermented with lager yeast at a warmer temp than typical. I don't think you'd get good results if you used a lager yeast at nearly 70F, but you should be fine if you use an ale yeast instead. It won't technically be a steam beer, but it'd be fine.

Thanks for the reply. I have my fermentation freezer set at 68 degrees with an IPA in the secondary. Do you think the Anchor Steam will be ok at that temp for 2 weeks and then drop the temp. to 55 for the remaining time?

There's no way in hell this should take 2-3 months to ferment. Anchor does it in about 3 days. You should listen to the Sunday Session podcast with Anchor from 2011 on the brewing network. I think they pitch around 60, then after a day let it rise to 68. If you pitch the right amount of yeast, the fementation should be done in under a week.

I have two anchor steam (California common) beers posted. I like to ferment at 55-65 for about 7-14 days or so, and then reduce the temperature for a couple of weeks. You aren't going to want it sitting on the yeast cake for three months. Your instructions aren't very good, to be honest.

IMO if you are using the lager strain you want to ferment at 60-65 and no higher and as others stated not for 2-3 months. My clone is usually done and ready to be packaged in 3-4 weeks.

The very first time I brewed a steam beer with lager yeast I had no temperature control, fermented at 68+ and the beer was horrible. I let it sit in bottles for almost 6mos and it eventually became tolerable. Honestly I used most of it making beer brats for tailgating parties!

rbest808 said:
Thanks for the reply. I have my fermentation freezer set at 68 degrees with an IPA in the secondary. Do you think the Anchor Steam will be ok at that temp for 2 weeks and then drop the temp. to 55 for the remaining time?

What I would do is drop that temp down for the steam beer and ferment that at the appropriate temps. The IPA as long as it's down to FG won't be harmed whatsoever by being in the 60F range or lower. I usually ferment my typical ales (IPA included) with my fermentation fridge set around 60F anyhow (I'd rather them be on the cool side than on the hot side of things); as long as they get to the FG then sit for a while I'm a happy camper.

Here is the recipe I used.

1lb Crystal 40
8lbs Pale LME

1-1/2oz Northern Brewer at 60 min.
1/2oz Northern Brewer at 30 min.
1oz Cascade at 5 min.

Yeast WL800

Ferment between 50 -55 degrees
Fermentation will be complete in 75-90 days (for real, thats what it says).

Whatever happens now is going to happen. I pitched at 70 degrees, put it in fermentation at 68-70 degrees for one week, then Dropped the temp to 55 degrees (I have not put in a secondary yet, I will tomorrow if you all agree it is the right thing to do). How long should I leave it fermenting at 55 degrees beforeI keg it?
Thank you all for your posts.

I would leave it in primary and when fermentation is just about complete raise the temp for a D-rest for a few days and then lager it for another week until confirmed FG, clear and package

Back