Fermentation temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbromp

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any devices or have any methods to get varying fermentation temperatures? My basemen is typically about 65. My homebrew shop sells a band that maintains 73.

You could try the Rubbermaid tub full of water with an aquarium heater trick. Or, look into building a fermentation chamber.

Thanks, that aquarium heater is a good idea. Fermentation room API do expensive

Sorry for the iPhone correction. Fermentation room seems expensive

Cheap or free refrigerator off craigslist, an ebay aquarium dual temp controller, and a bit of wiring and hardware to make a fermentation chamber for less than $100.

65 is a good temp for a lot of brews. I like it even cooler. My basement runs about 58-60 degrees in the winter and it is perfect for most brews.

If you are trying to get the temp up to brew Belgians or saisons that need a higher temperature, then a cooler to hold water and an aquarium heater works great.

I use a big cooler full of water, place the fermenter in that along with the heater. The heater I have is very accurate and holds temp to within +/- 1/2 degree. My basement is 58 right now and I have a saison fermenting at 88.

This is the heater I have... http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/aqueonpro150precisioncalibratedaquariumheater-1-1.aspx

I thought 65 was a good temp too plus any extra heat from the yeast action. However, I was looking at a wyeast chart the other day and 65 was at the low end of the recommended range for many strains. I wanted to try for the middle on some to see if there is a difference, say 70 degrees. The 73 degree by is at the high end. I will look into some DIY chambers and the aquarium pumps. Thanks for the ideas!

Sorry for the iPhone correction. Fermentation room seems expensive

Cheap or free refrigerator off craigslist, an ebay aquarium dual temp controller, and a bit of wiring and hardware to make a fermentation chamber for less than $100.

Yup, I built mine for less than $100 even after paying $50 for a mininfridge.

beergolf said:
65 is a good temp for a lot of brews. I like it even cooler. My basement runs about 58-60 degrees in the winter and it is perfect for most brews.

If you are trying to get the temp up to brew Belgians or saisons

^ definitey agree.

Factor in the 5-10 degree increase generated by the fermentation and that 65 is looking good, maybe a bit warm as stated above. 73 ambient can push you way over where you want to be.

I have a chest freezer with a Johnson controller and I find around 60-62 a pretty good ambient temp for most and ramp up to 68 or so after fermentation starts to slow. I like to keep contributions from the yeast to a minimum unless needed (Hefe, Tripels, etc). Definitely prefer the lower temps for a clean finish.

Latest posts

Back