Fermentation temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jt43

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying either a brew belt 120v or an electric fermentation blanket. Which one do you guys think is better for keeping the fermentation around 70degrees? I have a hard time keeping it above 64 degrees right now without using any temperature control device.

What are you brewing and what kind of yeast are you using that you need the fermenter that warm? Most of us have to work to keep the wort that cool as most ale yeasts do their best in that temperature range.

64*F is pretty choice for most ale yeasts. Is it getting much cooler than that at times?

Why do you want to heat it 70?

Agree with the posts above. Unless I'm doing something special, I will usually aim for the center of the published temp range for the yeast you're pitching. Attached is a link if you need to look up your yeast.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html

Remember, if you have the sensor on the exterior of the fermenter, the actual wort temp will be several degrees warmer. When I first started brewing, I used a water bath to maintain temps. Place the fermenter in a rubbermaid tote and fill half way up with water. Drop in an aquarium heater if you need to add heat, or frozen half liter water bottles if you need to remove heat.

Back