Fermentation Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naristov

Reaction score
Hi guys,

How do you maintain a cooler fermentation temperature during the warmer seasons? I don't have a ton of room in my tiny NYC apt, so I'm not sure some sort of fridge would work. I read somewhere that wrapping wet towels around the carboy/pail and placing it in front of a fan. Has anyone tried this?

I live in Staten Island in a small apt so i know where you are coming from with trying to keep you brew at a good temperature. Here is a list of methods i used until i was able to come up with a small fermentation camber, I will post some pictures and deals on it once i get home.

If it is hot out and you are trying to keep the temp down you can fill your bath tub with some water place bucket or carboy in tub and then take a old shirt and rap it around what every you are fermenting in, you add some 2litle soda bottles that you filled with water and freeze to lower temp. You can control temp by add frozen bottle or adding warm water to get the temp you want.

You can do the same thing but instead of using you bathtub, get a round tuper ware that your bucket or carboy fixs and you the same process.

You can always put you bucket/carboy in a closet that is cool and just let it go.

In the winter when you want to keep it warm rap it in a old blanket.

We got a brewing club over here in Staten Island that meet up once a month i know is a bit of a trip from the city. There is a link in my sig of our forum if you want to check it out

Posted from iphone so sorry for it a little messy

When I don't have room in my fermentation chamber, I often do the wet towel and fan trick. It does work, but requires constant baby sitting. If you keep your apartment warm, you will want to build a swamp cooler like thedude has recommended, because you will need to use frozen bottles of water during the hot months to keep your temps in the mid 60s. But the swamp cooler and towel tricks do work well.

I took the suggestion from many threads and converted an Igloo Ice Cube cooler to a fermentation chamber. I took off the lid and replaced it with a lid that I made out of insulation sheeting. I cut a whole in the insulation sheeting lid to allow the neck and airlock can poke through.

There's a picture of one somewhere in the old threads, maybe from Yooper.

I'm lucky because I use a Better Bottle carboy for fermenting. The 6-gallon Better Bottle is short enough that the sheeting lid can get low enough that it fits as well as the regular lid, i.e. there's no gap for air to get into the cooler. Actually, I taped on a second layer of sheeting so that the lid hugs the inside of the cooler as well.

Regardless, the cooler works really well for maintaining the air temperature surrounding the carboy. But remember, it's the temperature of the wort that counts, not the ambient temperature. Again, using someone else's suggestion, I took some bubble wrap insulation (actually, I ripped in two a bubble-wrap envelope and used that) and taped it to the side of my carboy. Then, I slide my temperature prob in between the insulation and the carboy. This gives you a very close approximation to the wort temp. My temp probe is wireless, so I can check the wort temp from my home office.

So, I stick the carboy into the cooler with the temp probe, and then add a couple of frozen water bottles. I adjust the number of the bottles to get to the correct temp. I don't use water in the cooler because my Better Bottle has a spigot and I don't want to have standing water sitting in the spigot for several days. But water would be more effective. Anyway, I have to change out the frozen water bottles twice a day for the first three or four days. Then once a day for the next three or four day. Finally I let the carboy come up to room temp for the remaining couple of week. But, then again, I'm lucky enough to have a basement that's ~68 degrees all year round. But even if you didn't, I'd be that you'd only need to put a single frozen water bottle into the cooler every day or two to maintain 68 degrees.

So the cooler method works pretty well. Someday I'll convert a wine cooler or fridge, but for now, this is fine. And, again, I don't add water to the cooler; I just cool the air. I'd suspect that water would work better and mean that you'd have to change out the frozen bottle once a day instead of twice a day during the early days of fermentation when the wort is producing a fair amount of its own heat. After those first couple of days, it really doesn't take much to maintain the temp inside the cooler because the wort isn't producing any heat.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys.

I think I will try the wet towel method first. The swamp tank looks ideal, but I think it would take up too much room if I had two batches at the same time. My tiny apt brew station set up is already taking up a bunch of space in the kitchen and my roommates complain about it. Oddly they don't complain once the beer is done though ;p

We got a brewing club over here in Staten Island that meet up once a month i know is a bit of a trip from the city.

Cool. I was thinking of joining a club at some point. My initial search didn't yield very much as they are mostly upstate NY. The next meeting location is about an hour by public transportation from where I live.

Back