Fermentation Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brimania42

Reaction score
So this wasn't something I considered all that carefully. I had a spot with a nice stable temp, but didn't really take into account the reaction in the fermenter. Long story long, I've been going all day with a beer temp of about 76 degrees (I've since mitigated this with a small ice bath).

How bad is this beer going to taste? :)

Which yeast did you use. If you have something that has a range into the 70s, you might be fine.

Tub of water, wrap a towel around it and keep it wet. First 2-3 days of fermentation are most important. Let it ferment out, taste it, it'll be drinkable even though it might not be as intended.

It may not taste fantastic or as on point as you planned. But as I, and many others have said before, it takes quite a bit to really screw it up. Even when it's bad, usually it's good. In the end, each brew day, keg day, bottling day...they are all lessons. I have yet to have one of those day where I didn't screw up something...and yet it all works out okay. Cheers.

Depending on the yeast, you can get a lot of flavors from the yeast that may not fit the style you are brewing, or you could get fusel alcohols, which will make it taste like alcohol, or if there are too many fusels, it could give you headaches from drinking just a couple of beers.

You did not say what yeast you used. You are probably OK, and will just get more esters from the yeast, but we need to know what yeast you used to give you a more complete answer.

Back