Fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjbank

Reaction score
I am holding my beer at 67-68 in a freezer but temp of beer is 72. Any answers ?

You're holding your beer at 67, but the temperature is 72? I don't follow. Do you mean the temperature of the fridge is 67 and the beer is higher?

If so, I'm not sure if your question is "why?" or "what to do about it?", but fermentation is exothermic. It gives off heat, in other words. If you've got a temperature controller, it should be set to the beer's temperature, not the ambient temperature.

depends on the yeast stain, as far as temp goes. The yeast will have a temp range listed on the package or vial, and the ambient air is not the temp you want to control. the vessel temp is the temp to control, because as the brew ferments the temp inside will rise, and in some case as much as 10*F. Just cool the fermenting vessel down. Is the freezer controlled in some way? If not use a swamp cooler and towel wrapped around the vessel with ice bottles. Search swamp coolers, a lot of us use them. Cheers and welcome to HBT:)

BOBrob said:
depends on the yeast stain, as far as temp goes. The yeast will have a temp range listed on the package or vial, and the ambient air is not the temp you want to control. the vessel temp is the temp to control, because as the brew ferments the temp inside will rise, and in some case as much as 10*F. Just cool the fermenting vessel down. Is the freezer controlled in some way? If not use a swamp cooler and towel wrapped around the vessel with ice bottles. Search swamp coolers, a lot of us use them. Cheers and welcome to HBT:)

I have a temp controller hooked up to a large chest freezer. Right now I'm heating so I have two ferm wraps inside it to heat. Thanks

Back