Fermentation temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am using safeale s-04 yeast w/5 tsp of Fermax yeast nutrient . What is an ideal temperature to ferment my cider at? OG is at 1.072. I used 2 lbs of Caramelized Brown sugar and 1.5 lbs of wild honey (from my bees) and 4.75 gallons of fresh pressed cider. This is my first try at a cider.

BrewinMAINEiac said:
I am using safeale s-04 yeast w/5 tsp of Fermax yeast nutrient . What is an ideal temperature to ferment my cider at? OG is at 1.072. I used 2 lbs of Caramelized Brown sugar and 1.5 lbs of wild honey (from my bees) and thats all. This is my first try at a cider.

Wait, your cider is being made entirely from brown sugar and honey? Really?

In any case, us04 works well in the mid to upper sixties.

BrewinMAINEiac said:
Oh and 4.75 gallons of Fresh pressed cider.

Makes so much more sense now! My first thought was "damn that's a high OG for just those two ingredients."

recommended temp range is 59* to 75*

Ideal temp? ... a lot of folks like long and slow. After the yeast establishes itself I'd say 65'ish.

So as in beer, its is the yeast strain that your using that determines the temperature range of fermentation?

BrewinMAINEiac said:
So as in beer, its is the yeast strain that your using that determines the temperature range of fermentation?

Well, the temperature range of fermentation is determined by YOU, as it's whatever range you happen to have the beer in the fermentor.

Your question is kind of difficult because it's largely meaningless. Though I suppose it's easy enough to infer that you were asking about what particular factor determines the *ideal* temperature range.

But the problem is that it's still a pretty meaningless question, as you haven't really provided any criteria for what constitutes "ideal".

Now, I could just do the easy thing and answerable "yes" to your question, and it wouldn't be wrong... though again, it'd be pretty meaningless, because, while the particular yeast strain is *always* a factor, there is really only ONE instance where it's the ONLY factor - which is if you define the "ideal" ferm temp range as the absolute min and max temps at which the the strain is able to convert sugar to alcohol, rather than die or go dormant.

Unfortunately, that's a really wide temperature range, and it's generally pretty useless information for a brewer. Notty might be able to work at 110°, but it starts making the beer taste like crap *well* before that.

So that's why I say your question is kind of meaningless. So what defines the ideal/optimal temperature range that matters to you? Because the factors that DO end up determining the ideal temperature range (in addition to the yeast strain itself) will depend entirely on just exactly what you want the fermentation to accomplish.

TL;DR: Sure.

Well, the temperature range of fermentation is determined by YOU, as it's whatever range you happen to have the beer in the fermentor.

Your question is kind of difficult because it's largely meaningless. Though I suppose it's easy enough to infer that you were asking about what particular factor determines the *ideal* temperature range.

But the problem is that it's still a pretty meaningless question, as you haven't really provided any criteria for what constitutes "ideal".

Now, I could just do the easy thing and answerable "yes" to your question, and it wouldn't be wrong... though again, it'd be pretty meaningless, because, while the particular yeast strain is *always* a factor, there is really only ONE instance where it's the ONLY factor - which is if you define the "ideal" ferm temp range as the absolute min and max temps at which the the strain is able to convert sugar to alcohol, rather than die or go dormant.

Unfortunately, that's a really wide temperature range, and it's generally pretty useless information for a brewer. Notty might be able to work at 110°, but it starts making the beer taste like crap *well* before that.

So that's why I say your question is kind of meaningless. So what defines the ideal/optimal temperature range that matters to you? Because the factors that DO end up determining the ideal temperature range (in addition to the yeast strain itself) will depend entirely on just exactly what you want the fermentation to accomplish.

TL;DR: Sure.

He was asking a question regarding my post. You need to let me and him determine if it’s “meaningless” or if there is a "problem" as you put it.
Did you write that post when you were drunk?

His question is a reasonable one ... and the actual answer is:
Yes, the yeast strain DOES determine the temperature range available to you ... although the temperature you decide upon for your end-result is dependent on additional factors.

This is an opportunity to draw an instructive distinction regarding the use of temperature in fermentation.
You really couldn’t figure that out?? DOH!!
Go ahead and take a yeast like WLP720 or Eau de Vie or a Cotes des Blancs and try and get that started in a low 60 degree environment and see how far you get without raising the temp or suffering a stall. In that circumstance you can bet your ass the yeast determines the temperature range that is available to you.

Further, you state: “there is really only ONE instance where (the strain of yeast is) the ONLY factor - which is if you define the "ideal" ferm temp range”.
That is dead wrong. Contrary to your assertion that there “is really only one instance” ... there is NO instance where there is only ONE factor in the choice of yeast. We are talking about an informed decision and understanding what one is doing ... not just “shooting from the hip”.
Temperature, metabolic activity (e.g. the ability of 71B-1112 to metabolize malic acid), flocculation characteristics, nutrient requirements, how the choice of yeast affects fruit maceration, alcohol tolerance, strength verses undesired (“wild”) yeast strains and a whole host of biochemical characteristics that provide for, amongst other things, the production of esters which influence aroma and flavor are part of the selection of yeast.

If what you really meant was that yeast selection and fermentation temperature are specific to the overall characteristics you are trying to develop in the end-product. Then just say that without the obfuscating blabber.

<... Jacob lays on the settee, waistcoat unbuttoned, boots up on the armrest at one end, a cold compress held to his forehead with one hand and glass of brandy in the other ...>

Jacob_Marley said:
Did you write that post when you were drunk?
Often a safe assumption on these forums.

Jacob_Marley said:
Further, you state: &ldquo;there is really only ONE instance where (the strain of yeast is) the ONLY factor - which is if you define the "ideal" ferm temp range&rdquo;.
That is dead wrong. Contrary to your assertion that there &ldquo;is really only one instance&rdquo; ... there is NO instance where there is only ONE factor in the choice of yeast.
I never said anything about it being the only factor in the choice of yeast. Not even close. In fact, what you went on to even ended up agreeing with me.

It's clear you either didn't fully read, or just grossly misunderstand what I was getting at. Probably because you were hung up on the word "meaningless", though the meaning you're drawing from that word doesn't seem to be anything like I had intended.

But the important thing is that I hope you feel better after that.

I am using safeale s-04 yeast w/5 tsp of Fermax yeast nutrient . What is an ideal temperature to ferment my cider at? OG is at 1.072. I used 2 lbs of Caramelized Brown sugar and 1.5 lbs of wild honey (from my bees) and 4.75 gallons of fresh pressed cider. This is my first try at a cider.

Woa, this sounds more like a crazy mead to me...

Back