Fermentation temp Vs. Bottle Condtioning temp??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebby5

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a couple years now and have always fermented at room temp (68-72 depending on time of year) and bottled condtioned at room temp. I ony put bottled beer in the fridge just prior to drinking it. I love the magic of the aging process that beers go through.

I am in the process of building a fermentation chamber and would like to ferment to the proper temp of the beer style/yeast recommended range.

If I do that correctly and then bottle it, should the bottle conditioning happen at room temp or the yeast temp range? What about storage temps? What do you kegging folk do as well?

FYI- I had a failed RYE IPA sit for 8 weeks at room temp in bottles and it came around to quite and enjoyable brew. If I would have stuffed it in the fridge after 3-4 weeks, I think would of dumped the whole thing out.

Feedback as always is appreciated.

Chris

Bottle conditioning is usually best done at temps closer to room temperature or 70 degrees. It can be a little higher or lower but it will take longer if it's cooler. I had one batch take like 6 weeks to carb and condition properly because it was in the low 60's in the closet where I had it, and it wasn't a high gravity beer. You'll find that most people think 68-72 is too high for most yeast strains (if that's room/ambient temp) but right around 70 is just fine for bottle conditioning.

The main reason you ferment your ale at a lower temperature is to control the speed of the ferment as the faster it ferments, the warmer it becomes which then speeds up the process until the yeast begin giving you off flavors. When you bottle, you add so little sugar that the yeast have no chance of getting the temperature of the beer high enough to make the compounds that give the off flavors. In that regard, it doesn't matter too much how warm (within reason) you bottle carb your beer.

The carbonation has been good and solid at 3 weeks. What about lagers? After the fermentation period at true lagering temps, do I still bottle condition at room temp? Also, what about after its fully carbed? I typically leave at room temp but should it really go into the fridge at that point?

Thanks I advance.

Chris

Back