Fermentation Temp spike to 105 degrees!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhm

Reaction score
I setup a new dual stage temp controller yesterday and put my almost done IPA in the newly modified fermentation chamber to finish off. The OG was 1.056. When I checked it yesterday afternoon it was at 1.022. My chamber is an older Kenmore mini fridge for the cooling with a fermwrap for the heat. I set the controller at 68 for both heat and cool and set the differential for 1 degree as advised somewhere else in this forum.

Well.... I forgot to turn the termostat on for the fridge part and when checked this morning, the internal temp of the chamber was 105 degrees! Ugh... I was headed to work, so I just propped the door open and unplugged everything. I'm in San Francisco, so the ambient temps are in the mid-low 60's, so I hope it will cool slowly back down to that by the time I get home.

So, how bad is that for my beer?

If the majority of fermentation was over, it may not affect it at all. More than likely the actual temp of the beer wasnt that high yet anyway. Cool er down and wait it out like normal. :ban:

I had a temp spike (not that drastic) due to the weather a few weeks back. Get it back to the temp it should be and more than likely the yeast will clean up what ever they did. I did have to leave mine in primary longer. I had a sulfur smell that was produced, but after a week it was 'scrubbed' out.

Well, I'm an idiot...

I went to the LHBS to get some yeast to kick start the fermentation again. Dumped in a packet or US05 and waited... Then I took a look at the specs from Williams Brewing, finishing gravity was supposed to be 1.022! Doh! So I guess I'll let the FG stabilize and enjoy the dry IPA. I'd cold crash it, but I don't have room in the ferm chamber. I'd rather let this one go as is, than risk the one currently fermenting in there.

Latest posts

Back