Fermentation temp readings with water bath

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking999

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How do you take a fermentation temperature reading if you are controlling the ambient temperature with a water bath? I would presume that those stick-on thermometers would be unreliable because you don't know if it's reading the water or the fermenter.

If I do have to go to all the trouble of taking a sample for a reading, would it be reasonably accurate to just assume it's a few degrees higher than the temperature of the water bath? If so, how many degrees?

I just assume the temp is pretty close to the water temp and put a thermometer in the water.

Not to thread jack but... On the water bath topic, do you add anything to the water? I went away for a week and when I came home, the shirts on the carboys had begun to have mold growing on them... Nasty!

I just assume the temp is pretty close to the water temp and put a thermometer in the water.

Not to thread jack but... On the water bath topic, do you add anything to the water? I went away for a week and when I came home, the shirts on the carboys had begun to have mold growing on them... Nasty!

I haven't had that problem yet but could probably just add some bleach to the water.

I use an algae fixer that is meant for fountains. It is safe for fish and keeps the growths down...

Back