Fermentation Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellysell

Reaction score
I just finished converting my chest freezer into a fermentation chamber, and am brewing a beer tonight that I would like to ferment around 70-75 degrees (haven't decided for sure yet). I have an IPA and Blueberry lambic in secondary that I'd like to put into the ferm chamber too. Since the IPA is done fermenting and is just dry hopping, and the wild bugs have taken over in the lambic at this point, will it be OK to have them at this high temp for a week or so, or should I find somewhere cooler for them?

70 would be fine, as would 75 for a week.

However, I think a bigger problem would be fermenting the new beer at 75F in the first place. It depends, as it always does, but this will very likely create phenols and esters that will hurt your beer. Unless you are doing it on purpose. Some saison's do well at those temps.

But the other beers in 2ndary should be fine.

70 would be fine, as would 75 for a week.

However, I think a bigger problem would be fermenting the new beer at 75F in the first place. It depends, as it always does, but this will very likely create phenols and esters that will hurt your beer. Unless you are doing it on purpose. Some saison's do well at those temps.

But the other beers in 2ndary should be fine.

I'm doing it on purpose. I'm doing a standard berliner weiss sour mash, but am going to ferment it with WLP500. Going to start it at 68 and bump it up to 75 after 3 days for the rest of the week. Then will probably drop it back down to 65 after a week or so. I'm wanting a bunch of fruity esters from the wlp500 and am hoping the others will be fine.

I have a question about using fruit while brewing. When are you able to put the fruit in? Or is it a package of some sort that you buy? I figured it would be fine to cut some orange slices up and place them in the fermenter for the week. Is that how it is done?

Also, it tap water alright to use or should I keep buying jugs of water when brewing?

Thanks...

NOOB BREWER

I'm doing it on purpose. I'm doing a standard berliner weiss sour mash, but am going to ferment it with WLP500. Going to start it at 68 and bump it up to 75 after 3 days for the rest of the week. Then will probably drop it back down to 65 after a week or so. I'm wanting a bunch of fruity esters from the wlp500 and am hoping the others will be fine.

ok. then you know what you're doing. the others should really be ok.

I guess I will proceed as planned then, unless I hear any discerning opinions in the next day or so.

The smell coming out of my cooler right now is absolutely wretched btw!

Back