Fermentation temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy a temp control unit and a frig or freezer. Connect the two according to the instructions with the temp control unit. Voila! You just built a temp controlled fermenter.

I use either a glass carboy or a bucket fermentor

I'm not sure you can get a accurate response here with so little information. I think you should search the term "swamp cooler" it uses a t-shirt and ice bath. If you want the $800 solution I can help. I was lucky because I was able to do the $800 for $150. But there are many examples in between a swamp cooler and a dedicated fermentation chamber which could cost thousands.

Sorry I am very new to brewing I dont want the 800 dollar solution I would enjoy the cheaper solution without a dedicated frig

You can easily buy a temp controller on eBay and find a chest freezer on craigslist for about $75... do you have room for a chest freezer?

Do not really have room but I do beleive I can make some all the reason I want this is my kolsch yeast can ferment at a lower temp

Spooner61 said:
Do not really have room but I do beleive I can make some all the reason I want this is my kolsch yeast can ferment at a lower temp

A chest freezer is really your best bet. It's the cheapest solution that gives precision control over ferm temps, and has a pretty small footprint.

JetSmooth said:
This way.

ebay aquarium temp controller

Granted, I haven't used mine, but it was really easy to wire up. Just need to rewire my old fridge.

Thats a good one right there. I have 15 gallons in mine right now and its maintaining temp perfectly. Got a mini from CL for 40 bucks, about 45 for the rest of the material, and a little time and labor. No need to rewire the fridge, just plug it into the controller. Depending on how big of a batch you do, you can make it whatever size you want. For me, that was the best choice and im glad I went that route.

Back