Quantcast

Fermentation temp control?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Jeepsn beer

Reaction score
What are some ideas for accurate carboy/fermenter temperature control. I've heard of aquarium heaters in a container of water with the carboy sitting in it, any other ideas.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
An old fridge with a johnson controller set at 68 degrees would probably be most accurate, but the other methods involving the bathtub and frozen water bottles and fans would work, too.

OP
Jeepsn beer

Jeepsn beer

Reaction score
Maybe I need a new Freezer for lagering 30-45 and turn my lagering fridge into an ale fermenter and keep it at 65-70. Seems like the best method by far. Looks like more flowers and jewelry for the wife.

casebrew

Reaction score
I've got an old water bed thermostat hooked to a Mr Coffee. My plan is to put it in an unplugged fridge, with a pot of water on the burner. But I didn't do it this winter. I should have. Maybe I'll remember it next winter.

EdWort

Reaction score
Like Yooper Chick said. A freezer with a Johnson controller is a good way to go.

Here's a 10 cubic foot chest freezer. I use it it for chilling, crash cooling, & carbing.

Another method and cheaper is the Son of Fermentation Chiller. Here's one I picked up off of Craigslist.com for $50. A frozen gallon jug keeps my ales at 65 degrees for 2 days before I have to swap it out.