Fermentation Temp Control - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke2080

Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen all of the DIY fermentation chamber builds. I know how to do this, but I'm looking for a little feedback on how to move forward to achieve what I'd like to in a somewhat efficient manner.

I want to be able to ferment at 66* ish, and cold crash at 32-35*, and lager at 40-50*. I also want to achieve a proper diacetyl rest for both lagers and ales. But - what I want to do requires all sorts of different temperature controls.

My keezer is setup for 4 cornys, and I can fit 1 or 2 carboys in there (or kegs as a secondary). I keep my keezer at 45* for a serving termerature, so I have a place I think I can lager in just fine.

I have been using my bedroom as a fermentation chamber. It is summer, and I get hot just like my beer. So I keep my A/C set at 66*. I figured my beer would be a couple of degrees warmer during high krausen - until I saw someone show a 9 degree difference in the ambient temp and the carboy temp.

So here is my plan - any feedback is welcome, because I really don't want to go overboard building too much equipment. (I am renting right now)

Setup an office to be temp controlled, where all of my beer stuff is stored, with an A/C and a heater, and some fans, to have an ambient temp of 66*. I then have my keezer for serving and lagering.

Do the mini-fridge build, to fit 2 carboys. I'm generally doing 10 gallon batches now, but splitting the carboys. I have a probe to go into the wort, so I can set a Love controller to the proper temp for the fermenting beer. Leave it in here for my 6-10 days. After this, diacetyl rest, and into the main room where the ambient temp of 66 should keep it stable. (action of primary fermentation is over, so would it keep at the ambient temp, or still be 2-3 degrees warmer?)

But now I still haven't done the diacetyl rest. My only thought is to buy one of the electric bands, to leave the carboy in the main room but with the band to heat it up an extra few degrees. I could put it in a different room, but I want good control on these temps.

I then would still like to cold crash for a couple of days after I think it is done aging, before longer storage. (I need to look up some more info here. If I cold crash, the yeast should all drop out of suspension. So if I then store at 66*, it isn't really "aging" is it, just being stored? If I never crash it, it should still age. I want to be able to play with this. I know it will still age slightly even when cold crashed - unless I pasteurize it which I don't plan on doing....still learning here)

Don't really want to purchase a second small freezer to use to cold crash - but I also don't want my keezer at 32-33*. (45* is a good drinking temp for me)

The answer may be that I am out of luck, but any ideas how to control this without going too overboard on building and buying stuff?

I have a temp controlled fridge. I make ales only, but I usually set the temp to 64-65 and tape and insulate the probe to the carboy. Once high krausen has been reached and fermentation is winding down (~2-4 days) I take them out and let them free rise to room temp (68F). I then let them sit at 68F until week 4 when I cold crash and then keg.

Your beer will still age after cold crashing it. There is still yeast in your beer, just not as much. From my understanding, beer ages at all temps but its faster at warmer temps and slower at cold temps.

Hope this helps.

Back