Fermentation temp: consistency or average?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
Would you say it's better to have a consistent temperature that is slightly above ideal, or a temperature that swings from slightly under ideal to slightly over ideal, repeatedly?

What kind of temp swings are we talking here? Without more information, I would say it's better to have consistent temps. Why don't you try a yeast that's more temperature tolerant?

I was curious in general. Right now I'm using Wyeast 1272, and it's ranging from 62 to 66 thanks to ice bottles. My other option is to skip the ice and let it sit at a constant 68.

Consistency usually but I do get a 1-2 degree swing having my ferm chamber in my garage.

That doesn't seem like that big of a swing to me. I guess you could go either way. If you have the equipment, why don't you split the batch and then compare the two later? Then you will know which one is preferable for that strain.

From the Wyeast website on Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II:

Temperature Range: 60-72F, 15-22C

Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness. Or, ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character.

And, of course, if you have the room, an extra freezer or fridge and an STC-1000 will help a lot, and for less than $30 if you shop around on craigslist. Plenty of ferm chamber/keezer builds here on HBT, and tutorials on how to wire them up for more accurate temp control.

Yeah, I'm in the market for a fridge setup. I don't have space for a chest freezer that would fit two buckets. I'm looking around for a mini-fridge that will hold a 6.5 gallon bucket, but apparently that is harder than I thought.

For now, the swamp cooler (with or without ice bottles) works pretty well, but I'm just concerned that the temperature swings will somehow stress the yeast out. I like the idea of doing a split batch to see. Might have to pick up a couple smaller fermenters to try that out.

For 1272, I try to keep it as cool as I can. I just use a swamp cooler also. A month or so ago I wanted to see the flavor difference if I just let it ferment warmer and at a stable temp (68°F) instead of the swamp cooler (60-62°F, I can keep very stable temps with it in my basement). The warmer temp really brought out the nut and fruity flavors, mostly banana. The aroma was kinda like banana nut bread. It actually went fairly well with the red ale I made but I think it would have been better had I kept it cool.

This RyePA that is in the fermentor right now I have kept it at 58-60°F with my swamp cooler for the initial fermentation and brought it up to about 64°F(turned off the fan) and the sample had no hint of the nutty banana flavors I experienced at warmer temps. I am going to try to keep it as cool as possible from now on.

From what I understand consistency is really important. Not all the yeast in your batch are created equal, and some will start to drop out when the temp starts to drop from mid to low 60s, for example.

I think the ideal situation is consistent, worth the ability to slowly rise the temp once things start to slow down.

Of course, fluctuating from 62-66 is better than letting it be consistently too hot. Some yeast will be happy at 68, others you might prefer to keep cooler.

From what I understand consistency is really important. Not all the yeast in your batch are created equal, and some will start to drop out when the temp starts to drop from mid to low 60s, for example.

I think the ideal situation is consistent, worth the ability to slowly rise the temp once things start to slow down.

Of course, fluctuating from 62-66 is better than letting it be consistently too hot. Some yeast will be happy at 68, others you might prefer to keep cooler.

Good riddance to bad yeast! Making room for badass yeast that can handle anything!

Kidding, of course. Probably. Though I don't get how people can keep temperature consistent with frozen water bottles. Basically, how it has gone for me: 66 degrees?! Too warm, add a bottle. Two hours later, 62 degrees, awesome. Eight hours later, 66 degrees and the water bottle is completely thawed?! Switch out for a frozen bottle. Etc, etc. Maybe they're just home more often than I am...

Good riddance to bad yeast! Making room for badass yeast that can handle anything!

Kidding, of course. Probably. Though I don't get how people can keep temperature consistent with frozen water bottles. Basically, how it has gone for me: 66 degrees?! Too warm, add a bottle. Two hours later, 62 degrees, awesome. Eight hours later, 66 degrees and the water bottle is completely thawed?! Switch out for a frozen bottle. Etc, etc. Maybe they're just home more often than I am...

I don't even use the frozen bottles. I just keep a t-shirt on the carboy, sitting in the water in a large rubbermaid bin and a fan blowing on it (its actually 4 small fans in one unit). It keeps it around 62°F in my basement, last week we had a rainstorm and the cooler temps caused my swamp cooler to cool it to 58°F!

I can get pretty constant temps with frozen water bottles... Though not perfect, and it also depends on how vigorous the fermentation is... So far the only ones I've had any trouble with have been have been high OG beers that have pretty intense fermentations.

How much water are you using? Mine goes up to about halfway on my bucket/carboy. The bigger the volume of water, the easier it is to keep temps more stable.

I can get pretty constant temps with frozen water bottles... Though not perfect, and it also depends on how vigorous the fermentation is... So far the only ones I've had any trouble with have been have been high OG beers that have pretty intense fermentations.

How much water are you using? Mine goes up to about halfway on my bucket/carboy. The bigger the volume of water, the easier it is to keep temps more stable.

It's at about the 3 gallon mark on the outside, so about halfway as well. I'm monitoring the temperature on the outside of the fermenter, so I'm not actually sure how much the beer temp is varying.

Back