Fermentation Stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first wine. I pitched the yeast (Lalvin 71B-1122 ) ahead, and added yeast nutrient and energizer and it bubbled and was doing alright last night, so I then added half to my two ( one gallon ) batches, with slightly different amounts of lemon, orange & zests. One batch also has cloves and ginger.

The room temperature was high 60 - 74. The yeast I used says "The 71B strain is a rapid starter with a constant and complete fermentation between (59° and 86°F) that has the ability to metabolize high amounts (20% to 40%) of malic acid. So I thought it would be a good yeast to use.

One batch I used https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/dandelion-wine-21095/
wine recipe.

Possible mistakes:
*did not reserve the Orange juice and add when I added the yeast, I added the OJ when to the boiling pot with the rest of the ingredients.

*did not take a OG reading in the beginning. I thought by going by the amounts of sugar in the recipe it would turn out alright.
(Took a SG reading about 12 hours after adding yeast, it was 1.112 & 1.114 in the two batches.)

*used a little more orange juice than specified.

*used candied ginger (1 tbsp) instead of powdered ginger, and It could have had a preservative.

My dandelion must seems quite still, as from what I read in several recipes you are suppose to let it sit Im primary for three days.
When I hydrated the yeast, and let it sit (for 12 ish hours) it had foam on the top.

Then I added the yeast mix to my must and Its been two days, I stir it at least twice a day. And it seems almost like a carbonated drink or soda when I do, but then when I stop mixing it settles and it looks like little to no activity, or foam on the top. I would have guessed this is what it looks like when its time for the secondary.

Yesterday
2qak56x.jpg

Today
2vcyngh.jpg

Being new to this I dont know if its slow, or not fermenting right. It was on the cool side in the room, so I read it might work to raise temperature a little, so I am trying that.

*correction:(OG/SG reading about 12 hours after adding yeast, nutrient + energizer, it was 1.112 & 1.114 in the two batches.)

The current SG on the batch using your recipe is 1.077 + .002 = 1.079
The other batch using slightly different measurements and ingredients is 1.084 + .002 = 1.086
*The hydrometer says to add .002 adjustment/ correction.

The first racking of the wine said in three days, (would be 12 May ).

I been looking online more to see if I can identify if it is indeed fermenting, or stuck, and since the temperature was at high 60s, I placed a heated blanket around and brought temperature to 72.

Thanks very much!

Don't rack the wine! But if the SG is dropping, that's great. Just keep stirring, and babying it along. When you get to 1.040, stop stirring and then rack to secondary.

Yooper, Thanks very much for your time and the help!

When I rack to secondary I will add the raisins, then if there is lees and sediment I would rack every 30 - 60 days or until lees are 1/4 inch thick or ?
would I leave the raisins behind with the lees at the second racking?

Would you recommend "adding potassium metabisulfite, and another dose at the 2nd and every other racking, then to stabilize it must be added at the same time as potassium sorbate , and then allow the wine to "rest" for 4 weeks to see if it re-ferments. (as potassium sorbate alone will not stabilize the wine against malolactic bacteria, something you do not want to take up residence in your bottled wine)". -Jack Keller

I was also wondering why or what purpose adding the pulp and juice of the oranges and lemon after the boil. Is that for flavor purpose or for the yeast?

Should I rack future batches of the dandelion must when it gets to SG of 1.040?
Or is this recommended for this specific batch?

-thanks again

Yes, you can rack every 45-60 days whenever you have 1/4" of lees at that time, or at 60 days whenever you have ANY lees.

I normally rack to secondary at 1.010-1.020 but 1.040 is fine also.

I only use sorbate if I'm sweetening the wine at bottling, but I do use a bit of sulfite at every other racking- 1 campden tablet per gallon.

Back