Fermentation Stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murray

Reaction score
I am brewing an altbier (OG 1.052, using Wyeast 1007 German Ale). It have been fermenting for 2 weeks now, and the gravity move from 1.052 to 1.020 in an orderly fashion (about 6 days) and has not really moved since. It crept down to 1.018, but has been totally stagnant there for 5 days now. The fermentation temperature is around 15 degrees C, which is apparently right for 1007.

The FG of the recipe was targeted at 1.011. I almost always hit my FG properly.

Any ideas? Poor yeast, too much unfermentables in my crush, temperature too low? I don't have more yeast to pitch (I pitched 3 packs of Wyeast after making a 2 step starter - I should have had loads of yeast so I don't think this is it).

Should I rack to secondary and see if the yeast is reinvigorated, or should I try to bottle it? It does not taste sweet though. It tastes OK, like yeasty beer at the moment.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Sounds like it is done and if it tastes ok, what are you waiting for?

Doesn't sound like a yeast issue, so might have been mash temps.

(I pitched 3 packs of Wyeast after making a 2 step starter - I should have had loads of yeast so I don't think this is it).

3 packs plus a 2 step starter? Wow! that is a lot of yeast. The cost of the yeast must have been almost as much as the ingredients!

I don't know if that had any effect. Maybe the recipe left you with a lot of unfermentable sugars.

Yeah the reason I used 3 packs of yeast is because it was a few months old and the mr malty and yeastcalc programs described how many cells I needed. The assumption was that the cells were not that viable because of the age of he yeast packs (manufactured 5 months before use).

It is an all grain recipe. You think I take my chances and rack this now? Beer actually tastes decent. No cloying flavours at all. I am just worried about bottle bombs if I get to the bottle and we kick off fermentation again....

If the gravity number has remained the same over several days you should be good to bottle.

Thanks Guys, I racked to a secondary and will fine the beer now, leave it to clear a couple days and then bottle it. Tastes pretty good so I am not worried anymore...

Back