Fermentation started back up after being dormant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatguy-littlecoat

Reaction score
I brewed a mini-mash hobgoblin clone from AHS on 11-16. The OG was 1052. It fermented actively in my swamp cooler for about 10days. My FG ended @ 1022. I pulled the fermenter out of the cooler and put it on my counter to finish up and age for the remaining 11 days before bottling tomorrow( at the time I needed the room for another batch in the swamp) Its been sitting nicely at room temp.(68-70) so today i wake up after a nice night of drinking brookly lager and brown ale along with poker. i notice my wife has cranked the heat. I come downstairs put the thermostat back to a normal setting, i go to the garage to get my brooklyn empties to soak in oxy to get the labels off and i notice my hobgoblin is actively bubbling and there is a thin krausen at the top, the strip thermometer reads 72.5 degrees.(was probably higher than that though) So should I get this fermenter back in a swamp cooler ASAP? will i have off flavors now? could this be wild yeast? Im relaxed, im just curious..

Could be the yeast warming up, could just be out-gassing due to the temperature increase. Not a problem in either case.

Most off flavors come right at the first stages of fermentation. At this point, it won't have much of an affect. Could just be offgassing due to the temp change, or it could be fermenting a few points further. Only one way to tell, and I'm sure you know what it is. :D

i bottled this beer today, kind of bummed because a week ago i took a sample for gravity, tasted it and it was awesome.. today it smells like cider and tastes like cider.. nasty! the gravity had dropped from this past testing to 1018. Im wondering if an infection took over. I cant see this beer ever tasting good.

I thought the same thing about a Cream Ale I did 8 weeks ago. I was drinking some of it with a lemon to knock the funk around I was smelling in the glass. I had one left and I put it in the refrigerator and left it there till two nights ago. It was amazing and I'm totally miffed about what I could've been enjoying instead of dealing with because I didn't know it needed longer aging. That was my second batch I've made. I'm learning :)

Back