Fermentation Started again??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
Something weird has happened. I'll make a long story short. On the 8th I brewed an Abby Ale with WL 530. I started too cold and it took about two weeks to three weeks to finish out. I finally got around to transferring to secondary tonight. It was extremely clear and very good looking. I plan to store until bottling to be ready mid-October. Anyway, FG had been lock steady for over two weeks. When I racked and put the secondary airlock on (one of those plumbing types) it started bubbling like crazy again. Is this normal? BeerSmith predicted an FG of 1.013 and I have 1.014. I can't dream of it being a stuck fermentation restarting, nor an infection taking off that soon. What could it be?

If the temperature changed upwards the beer is probably just releasing CO2. You'll have to take a hydrometer reading and see to be sure. But I bet that it's not fermenting, just off-gassing.

Thank you,
That would be it then because the primary was still sitting in a filled swamp cooler, but my glass secondary was just room temperature. Thank you for easing my concern. This promises to be a really good brew and I was freaking.
:mug:

If the temperature changed upwards the beer is probably just releasing CO2. You'll have to take a hydrometer reading and see to be sure. But I bet that it's not fermenting, just off-gassing.

+1

I agree, when i brewed my Chico Gold Pale Ale i had it in the primary for about 2 months, FG stayed the same, and i moved it to secondary for clarification. Next night airlock started again, and was pretty steady for a little bit....ended up with same FG and a great beer! Sit back and relax. :tank:

Back