Fermentation Stand for a pair of Spike CF15 Conicals w/ DIY Glycol Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripleD

Reaction score
I have been lurking on here for the better part of a year benefiting from the community's knowledge without sharing any of my own successes / failures. In an attempt to give back a little, I thought I would share my fermentation stand build in the hopes that someone can learn from my mistakes and improve upon my design.

I have an amazing wife who supports my obssesions. For Father's Day this year, she bought me a pair of Spike CF15 Conicals. I was blown away with the build quality of these things.
View media item 69330
Since the wife was being generous, I got what I could while the getting was good. I also grabbed the cooling / heating bundle that spike offers. It is a shame to
cover up all of that stainless shinyness, but since I brew and ferment in the garage, I need all of the help I can get to maintain temps in the Florida summers.
View media item 69331

Last edited:
I enjoy woodworking and my garage pulls double duty as a woodworking shop and brew room. I had plenty of scrap wood left over from other projects. The stand is built from scraps of oak, pine, birch, and maple. Since I planned on painting the stand, I wasn't woried about matching grain.

I built the base our of 1x4s and 1/2" ply. I don't have any photos of the casters, but I used 6 100lb casters which easily move the stand around while both conicals are full.
View media item 69332
The original plan was to have pegboard stating 16" from the bottom and form the back of the stand. After testfitting, I decided to raise the back an additional foot.
View media item 69333

After taping off the garage to create a "spray room" I hit the stand with four coats of black acrylic semi-gloss. It took forever to cure, but it should wear pretty well.
View media item 69337
I found some 16" wide galvinized pegboard pieces on Amazon before I started the project. I used 4 to create the backing of the stand.
View media item 69338

This is the stand as it sits now.
View media item 69339
When I have some free time in the future, I am going to build an eight inch deep top to the stand for storing growlers up out of the way.

Unfortunatly, while manipulating my DIY chiller, I ruptured the condensor coil and opted to replace it with a purpose built Peguin 1/2 hp. I have only used the conical for one brew session so far. There is a blonde ale in it's second week of fermentation. On Friday, I will be attempting my first lager.

If you have any questions ask away.

I realize this is an old thread, but:
a) Very nice setup!
b) Any additional thoughts now that you've had it for a while? Anything you wish you had done differently, or particularly like about it?

Cheers!

Back