Fermentation stalled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramsey89

Reaction score
Hey guys, i am brand new so forgive my lack of information. I am fermenting my second batch of beer ever and accidentally sanitized my liquid yeast pack (a smack bag) in water that was too hot and subsequently killed the yeast. After 24 hours i popped the top of my bucket and it was flat and clear of any yeast activity. I then purchased some dry yeast, pitched it and waited 24 hours. After no activity i popped the top once more and saw a slight ring in the bucket as well as a small nerf football sized clump of foam. I assumed i was good to go and let it ride. Now 48+ (probably more i cant recall 100%) hours after the second pitch i am still seeing no action from the airlock. I am hesitant to pop the top again but didn't know if this was maybe normal or if there is something i can do to induce a more vigorous fermentation.

Dry stout (one of the package deals)
5.5 gal
12 OZ UK roasted barlet
1 lb. flaked barley
4 OZ acid malt
4 OZ UK black malt
6 lb LME
2 OZ kent goldings

any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

1st, stop opening the fermenter. Every time you do that you release any co2 and reintroduce oxygen which is not desirable. 2nd, be patient and give it some time. Make sure you have it at a good temp for fermentation. It looks like a high OG wort so it may take a bit for the yeast to get cracking. Since you repitched yeast you can be confident that you have viable yeast. No let them work their magic. Stouts take time, this is only the beginning of waiting, each step after this will also take time and the stout will take a while in bottles to be ready. As many will attest, it is hard to do this wrong. So I am sure in a few days you will be fermenting away. Good luck.

Thanks! Yea i didn't want to open it the first time but i kinda knew the yeast would be dead from the first pitch and my first batch (a hef) really took off with the fermentation and is still pumped like crazy 11 days latter...Ill just hang tight and let it ride. Appreciate the quick response!

My last 4 brews have shown no activity in airlock, don't rely solely on it. Instead of popping top I typically get some good light and pop the airlock bung off to peek in if I am worried. You are fine, sit back and enjoy the ride!

Back