Fermentation speed after bottling, same speed as primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeBreton

Reaction score
Hey all, been lurking around for a few weeks reading up and learning lots about home brewing etc but finally coming out of the shadows to ask a question.

I've got my first ever batch of hard cider fermenting away in the basement right now at around 60 degrees. 5 gallon carboy, fresh pressed cider from a local orchard sweetened with light brown sugar to 1.082 and using Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast. Going bottle into 750s once it hits 1.010. Prime with AJ concentrate and pasteurize in hot water once desired carbonation has been reached.

Aiming for a dry/semi-dry sparkling cider around 10%.

It's been about a week and today it measured at 1.062 giving me what seems to be a pretty standard 0.003 change per day with a little over 2 weeks left in the initial fermentation.

I was wondering if the fermentation rate will remain approximately the same after bottling. I was planning on priming with 180g of sugar (one can AJ concentrate) which by my calculation should raise my SG by 0.003 essentially giving the cider a single day to carbonate in the bottle at which point I should kill off the yeast to get the desired product. Right?

Thanks,
-Le Breton

Back