Fermentation smells like sulphur.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yowamushi

Reaction score
So I just started my first batch of real wine, a 4 gallon batch of mulberry wine saturday night, pitched the yeast sunday. Today I go to punch down the cap and stir it up and peeeeyew rotton egg smell in my fermenting closet. So I've read that if you have this problem toward the end of fermentation you should aerate the wine. But what do I do for sulphur smell this early? Additives included 5 campden tablets which I added 12 hours before pitching the yeast. And also I added 3 tsp of yeast nutrient. Should I add more or what? I aerated it tonight but I'm afraid the sulphur smell will come back. Any help for a first timer.

Well, I'm not a wine maker, mostly beer with a little mead and cider thrown in for good measure, but, I would say. Ignore the sulphur smell. That's just the yeast doing its thing. It will go away on its own with time.

Back