Fermentation smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hey I made a post about a month and a half ago when i did my first batch of beer about a sour smell that some here called a "yeast fart. Well now my second brew is in the fermenter, edworts hefe, this thing is going crazy bubbling every half a second and definitely has some funky fart smells going on. Now I know what your thinking im going to say next, how do you make it not smell? What do you do to keep the peace with the family? NOPE THATS NOT IT, Im starting to like the smell of those little yeasties farting, is this like my calling that Im actually meant to be a home brewer? LOL, its just an observation that i have made after about 3 glasses of apfelwein, I LOVE YEAST FARTS. I keep my fermenter in my kegerator for temperture control and when you open the door WHHHEEEWWWW. HAHA.

Haha the apfelwein strikes again. :D :tank: :drunk:

Different strains seem to have different smells. US-05 barely produces any smell, WLP 830 (German lager) smelled like a pile of rotten eggs for a week. US-04 was so fruity I could smell it outside of the ferm fridge, and that was going at 64.

My favorite smell ever was a russian imperial on an abbey yeast cake. Holy crap it ruled.

I really prefer the smell of the boil though. It smells so amazing to me.

Carne I know what you mean about the IS on a Abbey cake. I got one going right now and I swear it smells like brownie batter. MMM yeast farts.

brewing a brown ale with cascade, perle, and tettnang hops.. the fermentation smells awesome.. like fresh bread and dry hopped pale ale! :)

Yup,Skynard put it pretty good. But I love how cooper's yeast puts off all kinds of malt smells with whatever hops were used. Can you smell that smell?!

Well, I actually just got the "best case scenerio" going on in my brew room/computer room... The wife has began her own hobby of making soap. (She makes it with Lye and oils NOT melt and pour...FYI) I can not walk into my room and not smell a strong mixture of her soaps. I know some people this may wreak havoc on but her soaps smell freaking great! Right now the room smells of an Oatmeal/Irish Stout soap bars. (Yeah she used Guinness in it!) She makes both manly and girly soaps but they always smell clean and great. She is also going to make a spent grain soap and an IPA/hopped soap.

In that case,I hope you don't store grains,etc in there. That'd taste really funky.:drunk:

Not my grains...those are in a different area of the house. I really would not want grains in my fermentation area anyways due to the bugs they may have like lacto not weevels...

Back