fermentation restarted after topping with juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naeco

Reaction score
I racked my 5 gallon bucket of completely fermented cider 2 weeks ago and needed to top as their would have been too much head space for secondary. Since I did not have fermented cider on hand to top, I used apple juice from the store but very little (3 liters).

Since it restarted a small fermentation and will leave behind a very thin lees, do I have to rack again or is it OK if it stays in there for 2 more months until I bottle ?

Also, because fermentation restarted, does it mean I will have to start the aging process from scratch one it bone dry again ?

thank,

naeco

Well, it is a good idea to get it off the lees after about 3 weeks, not necessary, but the yeast dies and produces a different taste than some would prefer. I know somepeople love the taste it adds. It is up to you.

As far as the aging goes, those 2 months in secondary should be enough to age it. Then you can bottle it and let it sit around in there for awhile before you drink it if you really want.

i think it probably depends on the yeast, i use white labs english cider yeast and never rack if i can help it. its just to much work, you risk infection/oxidation and the lees tastes really good. ill rack fresh juice onto the lees of a finished one, let them sit side by side all winter and cant tell them apart by taste

Back