Fermentation reboot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HK823

Reaction score
So I have these two 1 gallon kits from Brooklyn Brewshop that I got when I first started brewing about 8 months ago. I do half or full kegs today.

Anyhow my 1 gallon BBS kit fermented pretty slow but steadily with some but some but not a lot of krausen at a fairly steady 62F for 2.5 weeks.

In between I had a day of power/and heat outage where it dropped to 57F and I noticed straight away there was no surface activity so ramped up the temp to 72F to keep the yeast happy.

Happy to see it restart fermentation but only slowly I let it be for another week - no real surface activity but a thin rim of tiny bubbles. So a total of 3.5 weeks and it's starting to clear and getting excited about bottling it soon.

In the meantime my fermentation fridge arrives and I chuck it in. By mistake the temp is set at a whopping 80F (for less than 8 hrs) and bring it down to 72-73F.

The result of that is the wort/beer has gone cloudy again and the tiny bubbles are rising more vigorously.

I'm going to let it sit until it's done but what could be the cause of this? Old yeast, not enough aeration before pitching the yeast?

You may have just caused CO2 to come out of solution. Raising the temp reduces the amount of CO2 that will stay in solution after fermentation.

Brew on :mug:

That's what I'm hoping. Stupidly my hydrometer broke whilst resting on my drip tray on the actual brew day.
Can't wait to get my new one and I'll measure the hell out of it :)

The only true gauge on how well your fermentation is going is by checking the SG. Bubbles lie (they really do), and not every fermentation vessel is sealed properly.

Thanks for the share. That's also what mine looks like. Except mine almost only has rim bubbles and this is after almost 4 weeks.

Yup used the kit yeast. Couldn't be asked to sacrifice any of my other yeasts I have I stock for this. In hindsight I probably should have.

EDIT: big clusters of bubbles on the surface are back... *sigh*

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428367923.463466.jpg

Back