Fermentation questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of all grain last week and when I put it away to ferment it was in a room with a 70F temp. It began bubbling like crazy a few hours later. I was told that was too warm so I put it in a room with a 59F temp. It stopped bubbling the next day and I let it sit for a couple more days. I felt the bucket and it felt ice cold. I measured the temp and it was barely above 50F. So I took it back up to the 70F room, shook it a bit, and it bubbled for a few more hours. Now it's not bubbling anymore. Is the fermentation already done or did I mess it up somehow?

Use your hydrometer and measure the SG. Compare that with your expected FG (should be specified in the recipe). If it's in range of the FG, take another reading a couple days latest to verify no more activity.

The hydrometer is the only way to know for sure that your fermentation is done.

Be a little cautious with swinging temps. The actual beer temp will be higher than ambient. Give the brew 3-4 weeks in the primary, then bottle.

B

Back