Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lostkegger

Reaction score
I have brewed two extract kits and the krausen on top was noticeable with some greenish byproduct which I assume is likely from the hops. However over the weekend I did an all grain recipe for Pumpkin Spice beer. I pitched yeast and air lock bubbled for about a day with occasional bubbles coming from air lock. Trub is forming on bottom and seems to be getting bigger. However the krausen on top is lacking.

I have the green byproduct but not the white cap I am so use to seeing. Is this normal with all grain or is my fermentation stuck?

A picture may be helpful.

What yeast did you use?
What temp are you fermenting at?
Is there airlock activity?

What yeast? What size batch and what was your gravity? One big newbie issue is not pitching enough yeast. The kits don't really tell you in the instructions that the higher the gravity, the more yeast you need. If fermenting warm, it's possible the krausen grew and collapsed quickly. If the hop matter is stuck on the sides above the beer, then there had to be some krausen to push it up there. Are you using a bucket? Lids are notorious for not sealing properly, letting CO2 out of the lid gaps instead of the airlock.

I would guess that the OP is likely not using a bucket since they seem to have good visibility into what is happening, namely the green color on top, Krausen, and particularly the trub formation at that bottom. BUT that is great callout...I have definitely had that experience!

Depending on the yeast, the majority of fermentation could have actually completed with the krausen falling without noticing.

Sorry I used LalBrew London English Dry Ale yeast for 5 gallons and pitch an entire packet at 70 degrees and storing at 68 degrees counting for differential on outside temp vs temp in bucket. I do not have a thermometer on clear bucket. Initial gravity was 1.050. Occasional bubbles in air lock.

Last edited:
Update checked gravity @ day 6 now at 1.020. Air lock has backed up to liquid in both sides instead of one.

Back