Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee74

Reaction score
I am still very new at brewing. I brewed a Wee Heavy extract kit on Monday. I placed my carboy in a room in my basement where the temperature is almost always 65-67 F and has been at 65 F all week according to my wireless thermometer. Fermentation took off great, I was glad I used a blow off tube, foam and junk was constantly blowing through the tube yesterday. I went down to check my beer at 5:30 this morning. The krausen had dropped but it was still churning away and bubbling a couple times per second. I almost switched to an airlock but I was busy getting ready for work. I went back down to the room at 7:00 AM to get my coat and a new krausen had formed in a short amount of time and was vigorously blowing out of the blow off tube. I was surprised and glad I did not put the airlock on. Is this normal to get a second krausen on some beers?

Back