Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drat12

Reaction score
Hey folks. I think I know the answer to this, but need some feedback. I have a milk stout that I've been fermenting for just over a week. My initial plan was to primary for approximately 2 weeks (give or take depending on the reading) and then secondary on vanilla.

I started at 66 degrees for Wyeast 1332 and had a stuck fermentation after about 7 days. I have read before about increasing the temp after initial fermentation to make sure that there is limited or less esters produced. So, yesterday I brought it up to 70 and fermentation has restarted.

So the questions that I have are:
1. Is this okay in general
2. Is this okay because I am moving to secondary?

Just have some general concerns as I have avoided doing a secondary in the past.

Thanks!

What was the O. G.? What is the S.G. at now? What makes you think it was stuck? You should leave it in primary at LEAST 2 weeks preferably 3 - 4.

What was the O. G.? What is the S.G. at now? What makes you think it was stuck? You should leave it in primary at LEAST 2 weeks preferably 3 - 4.

OG was 1.050. I haven't taken another reading as I've come to believe that it's not needed until a person no longer sees active fermentation.

Typically, I keep my beer in primary for at least 3 weeks, but this is also without going to secondary (never been a believer in going to secondary). I figure that i want to still have some activity when I rack over vanilla in secondary. Someone please tell me if I'm off on this.... Actually trying to get some ideas as I haven't gone to secondary before

I would wait until you have reached a stable FG before racking to secondary - that is the generally accepted practice if you choose to use a secondary vessel.

I would wait until you have reached a stable FG before racking to secondary - that is the generally accepted practice if you choose to use a secondary vessel.

Gotcha, thanks!. Btw, thanks boydster for that link about dates, that's some good stuff!

FG is now stable, but only to 1.020 (started at 1.050). This is a milk stout. I've moved it to one gallon secondaries where I'll leave it for about a week before I put it on vanilla, cocoa nibs, or some other things.

Anyone else think this seems really high? I took a taste last night and it is almost sickeningly sweet.

That does seem high - 60% apparent attenuation. What was your recipe? I'm assuming there was lactose in it, so that will add some points to the FG since it is almost entirely unfermentable.

That does seem high - 60% apparent attenuation. What was your recipe? I'm assuming there was lactose in it, so that will add some points to the FG since it is almost entirely unfermentable.

I'll bet it's the lactose. One pound in a 5 gallon batch will raise the FG by .007

Recipe is as follows:

8-lbs-Rahr-Pale-Ale-Malt-

0.75-lbs.-Fawcett-Pale-Chocolate-Malt

0.25-lbs.-English-Extra-Dark-Crystal

0.75-lbs.-Weyermann-Carafa-III

Added 1lb lactose at beginning of boil also.

I certainly expected it to be a little sweet like the good milk stouts are. Never made one before, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I don't know if this is salvageable.

I don't know if this is salvageable.

I'm confused. What about your milk stout reaching an FG of 1.020 makes it not salvageable? That's a pretty normal FG for a beer that has a pound of lactose and other unfermentables (everything but the pale) in it. Without the lactose, it would be at 1.013.

I'd give this another week in the primary. During that time, split and soak the vanilla beans in a small amount of vodka or whiskey. Remove the beans and add the vodka at bottling time. That way, you can skip the secondary.

I'm confused. What about your milk stout reaching an FG of 1.020 makes it not salvageable? That's a pretty normal FG for a beer that has a pound of lactose and other unfermentables (everything but the pale) in it. Without the lactose, it would be at 1.013.

I'd give this another week in the primary. During that time, split and soak the vanilla beans in a small amount of vodka or whiskey. Remove the beans and add the vodka at bottling time. That way, you can skip the secondary.

+1 to this.

You got 70% attenuation without counting the points from the lactose (1.043 to 1.013), so you had a decent fermentation. A pound of lactose will leave you with some sweetness, but you need to give this some conditioning time before passing judgement on it. Stouts age well, the flavors will meld with time.

A pound of lactose will leave you with some sweetness, but you need to give this some conditioning time before passing judgement on it. Stouts age well, the flavors will meld with time.

Ah, glad you mentioned that boydster. It's amazing what 3+ months of bottle conditioning at room temp will do for a stout.

You guys are making me feel a lot better about this. I was a bit dramatic there...

Haven't done one of these before, so I've been a little edgy. :)

Actually, I already split them into 4 secondaries, 1 gallon each, and had already been soaking vanilla in vodka. I wanted to find out the differences and see which one is better. Next time I can hopefully avoid going to secondary.

I read you to say just add the liquid, but I actually added the whole thing (liquid and beans). Any issues with that?

I also added cocoa nibs to one, vanilla and cocoa nibs in another and then a control for the 4th. I was considering an oak cube or two along with some bourbon, but thought differently after what I tasted from the hydrometer.

Back