Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmuman703

Reaction score
I am brewing a brewers best kit for an octoberfest beer. It was supposed to be brewed a lager but I don't have the equipment for that. I used an ale yeast instead, I know the flavor will be different but it was all I could do.

My question is it seems that fermentation happened quickly and ended quickly. After 12 hours it was bubbling like crazy. However, after 72 hours, the bubbles had slowed to about 1 every 45 seconds. Is that ok? My concern is that I used an ale yeast instead of the recommended lager yeast. However, my OG was right around where it should have been if not slightly higher. Please let me know what you all think! I am also open to tips for restarting a stalled ferment.

Thanks!

That is just fine, it will slowly works its way down to FG over the next week. Way 7 days or so, take a gravity reading. Wait a couple more days and take another. If they are the same you are good to go.

Were you able to ferment in the 60s at least? What yeast?

Thanks for the quick response! I used an sl-05 yeast to try and keep the flavor profile neutral to allow the specialty grains and hops to come through. My plan is to let it go for two weeks just to see how it goes and then start takin readings. I was just concerned that if there was no bubbling that fermentation had stalled out. I am still relatively new to this whole process.

No, the bubbles simply indicate that CO2 is off-gassing and nothing else. The beer could technically be finished fermenting at this point, but you want to allow some extra time for the yeast to clean up after themselves. Two weeks is a good idea.

Twistr's advice is on the mark. It is unlikely your beer is done fermenting this quickly. Remember, you want to take two gravity readings approximately 3 days apart. If there is no change, then your fermentation is complete. The bubbles in your airlock don't mean anything.

Wonderful! This is one of those situations where you know the protocol but you are worried with reality. I am just happy to hear that others have experienced this so I know I haven't ruined a whole batch!

US-05 is a great choice for a neutral yeast as long as you keep your temps under control. I'll second what twistr and hercher said about the airlock bubbles not being a good indicator of fermentation. Just FYI, though, if temps are in the 70's or higher you will get not only a very fast fermentation, but also some off-flavors. I don't like 05's off-flavors. They hurt my feelings (and the fusels can make your head hurt too). Were you able to keep it in the low- to mid-60's?

It is not unusual for a beer properly pitched to fully attenuate in 36 to 48 hours. I'd leave it for at least a week before touching it, however.

Bob

Yeast was pitched at about 70 degrees. Maybe slightly higher but nothing crazy and it is currently sitting at a temp of about 67. I was having trouble chilling the wort and I was afraid of letting it sit. US-05 packet said pitching is fine even up to 77 so I figured 70 would be fine.

Like I said though, it is now resting comfortably at about 67 degrees.

Back