Fermentation Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compact007

Reaction score
Brewed on the 12th, Started fermenting within 6 hours was happy about that, Then today got home from work, and nothing atallwas happening, my only thought was that maybe to high of a temp, bucket read 75... help not sure what to do!!!

First thing you should do is take a sample out of the carboy and take a hydrometer reading. Though doubtful, it may have fermented most of the way out. Has the krausen completely fallen? Any airlock activity at all? Did you check the airlock/bung seal? 75f is not enough to deactivate most ale strains, though it is on the high end of the range. Did you aerate your wort prior to pitching?

So heres more of my problems, Ok i hav no hydrometer, it broke... no airlock activity, and krasen seems to have fallen... Also if this helps, this is a 3 gallon batch, testing my new recipie so heres what i had,

3 lbs Extra light DME
.5 lbs 10l crystle grains
1/2 oz spaltz hops 60

Pitched with 6gm of mutons ale yeast
after a week i was going to dry hop for two weeks with 1 oz of cascade leaf hops

kinda a hoppy light beer.

But no activity after 24hours seems bad.

I have more yeast to repitch but not sure if i should. I need a hydrometer!!! :(

compact007 said:
So heres more of my problems, Ok i hav no hydrometer, it broke... no airlock activity, and krasen seems to have fallen... Also if this helps, this is a 3 gallon batch, testing my new recipie so heres what i had,

3 lbs Extra light DME
.5 lbs 10l crystle grains
1/2 oz spaltz hops 60

Pitched with 6gm of mutons ale yeast
after a week i was going to dry hop for two weeks with 1 oz of cascade leaf hops

kinda a hoppy light beer.

But no activity after 24hours seems bad.

I have more yeast to repitch but not sure if i should. I need a hydrometer!!! :(

Yes, yes you do. When I first brewed, I never took readings. And that's all well and good, so long as things are going smoothly. But once you hit problems, that's exactly when you need your hydro!

If you can spare the yeast, I'd say, make a starter and repitch once the starter has been bubbling for 8 hours.

Back