Fermentation Oxygenation Study- Looking for Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micraftbeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning to do a hands-on review to compare the effect/effectiveness of an "oxygenation stone + oxygen tank" vs. "oxygenation stone + aquarium pump" vs. "none of the above". I plan to make one large batch, split it into 3 identical fermentors, with identical temperature control systems, and track gravity progression with Tilt hydometers. Then do some subjective taste testing on the 3 batches. There are 2 parts I haven't decide on yet, and wanted to get some others' input.

First off is I need to make 12-15 gallons of wort to split into my 3 fermentors, and I plan to be making the beer in my 12 gallon eBIAB setup. So I was thinking of making a high gravity wort, and then topping off each fermentor with some pre-boiled water to make up the volume I need. I was wondering if anyone had done this sort of thing before or had any suggestions/warnings?

Secondly is recipe/beer style best to use. I know I don't want to do anything with dry hopping so I can eliminate any effects of hop interaction. Since I need to water it down to make the volume I need, my final beer can't be anything high gravity. Any suggestions here?

Last edited:
Have to ask, why not just brew a familiar/favorite recipe that you normally do considering your assets and split it three ways without having to mess with it post-chill?

I mean, if the actual post-boil volume you can get out of your rig is, like, 8 gallons and you want 15 gallons to split, that's a huge dilution. I imagine brewing a double imperial IPA and ending up with a wimpier-than-normal lawn-mower beer. And even that might be a challenge...

Cheers!

Head space during fermentation shouldn't be an over-riding concern. As the pitch multiplies the yeast will consume every bit of oxygen they can glomm onto, after that the head space will be CO2-rich...

Cheers!

It can be a problem- I once ended up fermenting 1gal in a 5gal bucket and it completely oxidised. Obviously depends on ratio of beer to air, but a nice topcropping yeast like a Yorkshire yeast will help.

If you’re testing oxygenation then you’re testing yeast health and yeast reproduction in particular. So you’re looking for differences in ester production so it makes sense to use an ester-prone yeast. So either wheat beer yeast in conditions that favour banana or British - think Conan (WLP4000 etc) - or something like WLP644 Sacc Trois.

So that’s pointing towards either a banana-y wheat beer or classic British pale/golden ale.

Back