Fermentation or Lack Thereof

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenn514

Reaction score
This past Tuesday, I brewed up a batch of "Brickwarmer Holiday Red." When bubbles started in the blow-off water...after less than two hours after pitching the yeast...I recalled all the posts on HBT of brewers and brewerettes bemoaning the lack of fermentation, or the process stopping for some unknown reason. I've been brewing for 9 years, and have well over 50 brew batches in my log...and I've never...NEVER...N-E-V-E-R had problems with fermentation. I have no idea why, but perhaps the following items can be of help to other brewers and brewerettes...

A] I always rehydrate my yeast. I put my tea kettle on about 30 minutes before the end of the BOIL, and when it whistles, I pour out some water and let it cool down to about 80°F. Then, I pitch my yeast into that warm water and let it get wet and ready to be pitched.

B] I always aerate the wort before pitching the yeast. I have a gizmo from Northern Brewer that attaches to my electric drill, and I just stir the bejesus out of the wort.

C] I always cool my wort as close to 80°F as possible. This most recent brew hit 80°F on the nose. Then, after aerating, I pitch the yeast.

D] My fermenter is kept in a darkened, cool room. Once I put my fermenter in there, I keep my hands off and let the yeast go to work.

If any of this helps a brewer, or brewerette, GREAT! If not, I am sorry for wasting some of your time...but fermentation is VITAL to brewers!

glenn514:mug:

Back