Fermentation of Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skellom

Reaction score
Hi!

This is my first home brew (Started 28.02.2014) and I wanted to make sure I follow the correct procedure. I have bought a full start up kit and also a pre-prepared lager syrup, so just add water and dry yeast.

I have prepared the mixture and added the yeast, but put it straight in the cellar (11 degrees Celsius), it seems as though I should have left it at room temperature for sometime (2 days) to start the fermentation process? Is this an issue?

The primary brewing process is supposed to be 14 days and then I move on, to bottling? Or is there something that I am missing again? Any guides would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Since you're in Oslo you're probably using a kit that most of us are not familiar with. It seems to be a "no boil" kit, maybe similar to Mr Beer.

It should not be an issue that you started your beer at fermentation temps (7 to 13C). It may take a bit longer than the 14 days the kit is recommending. Wait at least a week after the bubbling stops and the krausen has fallen. An extra week or two shouldn't hurt. It's better to bottle late than early.

Thank you!

I am going to leave it for 18 days, take it out for another 3 days (Total 21 days for primary) at 20 degrees and then bottle to carbonate (prime) for another 14 days at 20 degrees. Will then lager for nearly a month at just over 0 degrees.

Hope this is a good start to my brewing! I will move to more original processing as soon as I get the feel of the process.

Again, thanks for the help.

Back