fermentation not yet started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvinit

Reaction score
this is my first kit brewers best german octoberfest,brewed friday night its now monday morning and dont see the airlock bubbling away pitched the yeast at about 60 degrees,should i be a little more patient?,or should i start to panic?

Air lock activity or lack there of is not a indication of fermentation activity. Some fermentation is more energetic than others. If you took an initial gravity reading, then one now will tell you if the yeast is active and converting sugar to wonderful alcohol.

If you are brewing a Oktoberfest/Marzen, which is a Lager, you need to drop your temp by qt least ten degrees and needed to have about twice as large a starter as you would for an ale. To be of any real help you will need to give more info about what you are brewing, with what yeast....basicly the recipe and mashing schedule....or steep if not all grain.

Depending on the yeast strain 60 degrees may be close to the high end of what is tolerable. Most folks ferment lager yeasts at the low end of tolerable temps, though.

If it's fermenting, AND the airlock is perfectly sealed, then it will bubble.

If the airlock isn't bubbling - then it's either done fermenting, hasn't begun fermenting, or the airlock is simply not sealed..

If you are fermenting in a bucket, then don't expect an air-tight seal.

I am actually brewing it as an ale as per the directions ,I do not have the means for lagering the brew,the instructions said the yeast would work just as well as an ale...

If it's fermenting, AND the airlock is perfectly sealed, then it will bubble.

If the airlock isn't bubbling - then it's either done fermenting, hasn't begun fermenting, or the airlock is simply not sealed..

If you are fermenting in a bucket, then don't expect an air-tight seal.

the container is sealed pretty well as i press the middle of the lid the water rises in the air lock

If you are brewing a Oktoberfest/Marzen, which is a Lager, you need to drop your temp by qt least ten degrees and needed to have about twice as large a starter as you would for an ale. To be of any real help you will need to give more info about what you are brewing, with what yeast....basicly the recipe and mashing schedule....or steep if not all grain.

I am as much of a newb at this as you can get...trying to learn

the container is sealed pretty well as i press the middle of the lid the water rises in the air lock

I've had that though, but still no bubbling airlock. Popped off the lid to find a huge krausen and everything was okay.

The only real way to tell is to A) look at it and see if there is signs of krausen and if not, then b) take a hydrometer reading.

You didn't pitch your yeast in wort that was too hot, did you? Also did you use a smack pack, rehydrate, or otherwise proof the yeast before pitching?

I've had that though, but still no bubbling airlock. Popped off the lid to find a huge krausen and everything was okay.

The only real way to tell is to A) look at it and see if there is signs of krausen and if not, then b) take a hydrometer reading.

You didn't pitch your yeast in wort that was too hot, did you? Also did you use a smack pack, rehydrate, or otherwise proof the yeast before pitching?

pitched at 62 degrees,sorry dont know what krausen is nor smack pack,been brewing 1 time 1 week actually 4 days now,so many things keep coming into the picture as far as fixes qill follow your advice, will do a hydro when i get home,no i did not proof before pitching.

Well, all things considered it's probably fine.

Worst case you'll just have to throw another pack of yeast in there. No biggie.

i am just obsessed with getting it rite want to learn....my wife says its a hobby for me its more of an obsession

...but rehydrate it this time. Just to make sure it's still alive. Just put it in some room-temp water in a sanitized measuring cup/whatever. Wait a while, and come back and see if there's a few bubbles and it smells like bread. Then you're good to go.

Back